Thread on steps on how to import a roaster

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Razals

#1: Post by Razals »

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I was advised of a thread that outlines the steps on how to import a roaster into the States. Any direction to that thread or post would be greatly appreciated. And if there is anybody out there who can advise me please PM me. Thank you all.

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

I know this doesn't answer your question, but do consider purchasing from a company like Mill City Roasters. High quality, no risk, service after the sale, education on the roaster and roasting, great value, and so much more. They deal with the language barriers and hassles of importing so we can rest easy.

Hope that helps.

Razals (original poster)

#3: Post by Razals (original poster) »

You are right. That ease of mind can't be beat. It's a risk going down the importing avenue. However, I'm potentially saving a good amount of money bringing it myself. Money that I can invest in my startup. I just need a little guidance on the best approach when it comes to freight forwarding, destination charges, duties, bonds, etc. It's a learning experience too.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

The site's Search function helped me find my original thread in just moments. I typed into the Google box "import customs" and came up with it on the first page:

Protecting Yourself When Importing
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Razals (original poster)

#5: Post by Razals (original poster) »

Thank you Dr Gary.

roastimo

#6: Post by roastimo »

Razals wrote:Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I was advised of a thread that outlines the steps on how to import a roaster into the States. Any direction to that thread or post would be greatly appreciated. And if there is anybody out there who can advise me please PM me. Thank you all.
If I were in the United States I would have bought much of the stuff I imported from China in the US instead. But living in Canada makes it different because of trucking costs and duties to here can be disproportionate. For instance a 200 + pound metal working machine I imported from Michigan ended costing me more in shipping and duties than the cost of the tool. My equally heavy roaster came from China to Canada by sea for a fraction of the other machine's land transport charge. So, in a kind of development of practise, ordering from China has become routine: a crate of coffee grinders, a crate of weigh scales, a bunch of thermocouples...and so on. There is a thing though, each order I send off the money and think of it as gone, and it is gone. The stuff has arrived too, in good shape always. That being so, no need to expand negatively.
Freight charges within the US are lower if it is within the continental states south of Canada, and there are good suppliers of coffee roasting machines, so the convenience factors others have mentioned apply, as well as service considerations. A point I would make is that buying coffee beans for a couple of years, even one year, can amount to more of an investment than the initial cost of the machine. Also, attached computers, phidgets, thermocouples, tables, and gear can add up to the price of a small roaster. Certainly building a roaster room with gas connection, ventilation, exhaust, and electrical can cost the price of a 2 or 3 kg roaster.
Considering the other costs, the roasting machine price diminishes in importance, so if in America, why not just buy there? my take fwiw

DaveC

#7: Post by DaveC »

johnny4lsu wrote:I know this doesn't answer your question, but do consider purchasing from a company like Mill City Roasters. High quality, no risk, service after the sale, education on the roaster and roasting, great value, and so much more. They deal with the language barriers and hassles of importing so we can rest easy.

Hope that helps.
I'm in the UK and have been involved in the import of roasters for UK sale from a number of countries and I would second the advice above. Let someone else do the research and the importing. They will have also tested the roaster and made/asked for any fixes on their models. There is the potential for a lot of problems importing yourself.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

I self imported a roaster, and it's not that big a deal providing the manufacture is reputable/experienced AND you have a nice broker. In my case the manufacturer has been exporting roasters for years, broker had an office at the port next door to customs.

If the business your considering buying from can't arrange shipping to the closest port (your port), I wouldn't bother. Picking it up yourself is a good idea if possible, otherwise a lift gate delivery is not included in shipping.

9Sbeans

#9: Post by 9Sbeans »

It really depends on the trust between the buyer and the manufacturer/seller.

I made a direct purchase of my KapoK sample roaster from the manufacturer in Taiwan about two years ago. They mainly build bigger capacity commercial roasters and the small sample roaster is more of the owner's own pet project. Highly customizable, the most beautiful appearance to the very details, and all features from a bigger commercial roaster are transplanted and packed into a small form factor. In other words, I couldn't find any comparable alternatives in United States at any price point.

I didn't even clear my final payment one month after receiving the roaster. They wanted to make sure everything is working properly before taking my money. They were really proud of / confident with their products, and they were willing to take more risk than the buyer.

I couldn't provide more insights in the "self-importing" processes, because everything has been taken care of. I received an e-mail confirming the roaster been shipped via UPS air freight, and less than one week it was sitting in my front door. The only trouble was explaining to the wife, :twisted: and lucky me this roaster had very high wife acceptance factor. UPS sent me a bill of the importing custom/TAX, and I called them back to pay by phone. I cleared my final payment to the manufacturer by wire.

Razals (original poster)

#10: Post by Razals (original poster) »

Thank you. You all are wonderful. I appreciate the time each one of you has taken. I'm glad I posted this instead of stumbling into an existing thread. I really respect each one of you all's outlook on this issue. Now it's about figuring out the risk/reward. I can potentially save $2200 importing a roaster that has some domestic historical user data and accept the risk of importing or apply that money towards ease of mind buying local. Life's choices....