Thoughts about this program/curve

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
objective1

#1: Post by objective1 »

Okay so before you all tell me i need to do the HTC/TC4C mod ... i know ... may happen but in the mean time...

trying to make the goofy programming option on my hottop P-2 work for me. I've gotten to this curve. Seems to be giving nice results with SM Workshop #24 El Competidor. My most recent batch representing the curve below is coming off the rest monday so i'll post the results in the cup then.

So here's the program and the resulting curve. Leaving myself wide open here for all kinds of newbie level observations seems like it's time for an open review ;-) (been messing with this for a year and 3 years before that with an iRoast)

Target T Actual T Fan Duration
243 241 0 3:00
297 297 0 3:00
333 338 5 3:00 drying
351 347 0 1:20
369 356 1 1:10
396 390 1 3:00 1st @ 14 min - Drop power to slow
414 405 5 3:00
424 406 2 3:00 boost power w 3:15 left to get to second
(gets to second @18:15
and dump @18:30)

This appears to be the fastest curve i can achieve with a 250 gm load.

Does that seem way too long, and that i'd probably get better results and faster curve with a 160 gm load?

i know it's ultimately up to my results and what I am happy with. I'm honestly not all that fond of this blend, and it's basically all gone, so we'll see how well it works with SM New Classic Espresso blend.

I will say that i had good results with a similar curve on Colombian SO that had around christmas really nice fruit and long chocolate (Narino Taminango, Vereda Pedregal).

So there it is ... Flame on... :-)

Advertisement
rama

#2: Post by rama »

That's too long, you're baking the beans.

Two suggestions:

1. Drop your batch size to 220 grams or less. I haven't heard of anyone having much success with batches bigger than that on a stock Hottop.

2. Get a Kill-a-Watt or equivalent to ensure you're running on or close to 120V. Low voltage has a significant impact on roast times. Lower voltage means you need to run smaller batch sizes to match.

I can't tell from your notes if you're running the heat at 100% and still not getting to first crack until 14 minutes? In general, you want to complete the whole roast in that time or less, so you want to get to start of first crack around 11 minutes or earlier (ballpark). Use that as guideline, and adjust your batch size and profile to match. Once you get there, feel free to tweak to taste.

objective1 (original poster)

#3: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

Great focussed feedback that's what i needed... thanx..

I thing i'm conflicted with attempting to have a solid 3 minute drying phase and maintaining a steep heatup curve. From what i had read, it appeared that the drying phase ramp should slowly rise through the 300ish to 340ish temp range. From a thermal momentum perspective, i think that is one thing that is slowing my overall roast time.

Can you or others comment on the temperature range for drying and the rise time in that range? I have searched through the forum and found lots of homage to that question but no specific direction.

Also i typically don;t drop my beans until the temp gets to 230. sounds like i can get an advantage to dropping earlier in the heatup range. any thoughts on that?

btw i have started 180 gram batches. a little trickier to control at 1st (without removing the top dump cover for a little while, it always runs right through to 2nd) , but with some work it's possible.

rama

#4: Post by rama »

My thoughts on roast profiles in a Hottop are here, specifically on the "closed brew entry":

3rd Annual HB Homeroasters Competition - discussion thread

#5: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

Thanx again... just roasted a 220 gm batch of new classic.

stopped trying to get a specific drying cycle and just cranked the program.

14:30 to end (15 sec into 2nd). hit first @ 10:30
i'll drop results here after it gets a good rest.

Glad I finally asked for help...

#6: Post by objective1 (original poster) »

hey just following up on this since my faster roast has just come off rest...

and of course huge difference in the cup.. the last 250 gm batch before this 180 gm batch had just about gotten me to give up.. yech...

but this morning (from the 180 gm batch)... nice cherry and long chocolate finish... (both of which i like which of course is nice for me :-) )

so lessons learned

4 minutes to 300ish
as fast as possible to 1st (form the 300ish)
slow down to 5 f/min through first and into 2nd
drop as you wish... working nicely

just got about 5 different SO's from SM will start that regime on them...

thanx again