Thermocouple

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mwright

#1: Post by mwright »

I am looking to add something like this to my breadmachine roaster. Do the flexible probes like this one work well or should I be looking for a rigid probe. I am concerned it will just get bent over by the beans and I also need something I can remove quickly when it is time to cool the beans.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Did you try and upload a photo or provide a link? All I see is text.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mwright (original poster)

#3: Post by mwright (original poster) »

Sorry about that. This is the one I was thinking of. I am just concerned that the moving beans will just bend the probe over. I am not sure if I should be looking for something with a ridged probe like in the second link or maybe just something like the first one but with the ridged probe on the end.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/ ... ouple.html

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9867FDA-Di ... B003V8A20Q

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I would suggest a rigid probe. On my HG/BM I drilled a hole through the outside case and another hole in line with that in the bread basket. When it's time to pull the basket I pull out the probe first. Also I'm using probes in combination with a data logger and Artisan software to track ET (environmental temperature) and BT (bean temperature) and be able to see the curve of my roast profile. It's been a bit of a struggle to electrically isolate the BT probe but I've been able to do that by coating the probe almost to the end with a thin layer of JB Weld. Probably more info than you wanted. If you just want to track BT and use a thermometer, a rigid probe will stand up to use. You can also call and ask Sweet Maria's their advice.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#5: Post by mwright (original poster) »

Thanks. I am not sure if that Taylor one would be good enough. I am wondering now if I would be better off getting a multimeter and then just buying a ridged k type probe to use with it.

Sherman

#6: Post by Sherman »

If you're looking at the SM thermometer, it uses a type K probe with mini connector. Hit up McMaster-Carr for potential probes. A rigid probe will indeed stand up to more punishment. You can also use a rubber stopper (link goes to American Science & Surplus) to mark the insertion depth - skewer the stopper with the probe.

If you start looking at other thermocouples, just bear in mind to match the connector (mini/flat or rounded) and probe type (J/K/T etc.) and remember that thermocouple != thermistor. Thermistors top out at ~392F, which makes them useless for measuring temps in roasting. Finally, response time for thermocouples (1-2sec) is generally faster than thermistors. IIRC there are multimeters that also accept thermocouples, but again just make sure that you get a probe of the appropriate type and with the right connectors.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Also when you choose your thermocouple test it by inserting the tip in boiling water. This will give you a better idea of your actual roast temperatures.
Gary
LMWDP#308

kowalej

#8: Post by kowalej »

Keep in mind your altitude with the boiling water test. I thought my sensor was off before factoring that in.

#9: Post by mwright (original poster) »

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

I see interface problems. What plugs does item 1 take? Item 2 doesn't plug into item 3. There are versions of item 2 that already have the yellow plug shown in item 3.

I use an inexpensive K-type TC with a rigid probe and the yellow plug already attached that plugs into a matching port on a digital thermometer. I prefer using an actual datalogger, though it's more expensive than a digital thermometer but the latter will still do the trick. I've had to coat all but the tip of the probe with JBWeld to electrically isolate it from the case and bread container of the bread machine. If you find an inexpensive thermometer that doesn't come with enclosed tip thermocouples you can get an inexpensive thermocouple with the same terminating connection.
Gary
LMWDP#308