Thermocouple + Artisan issues galore!

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Purista

#1: Post by Purista »

1. My thermocouple probe worked only three times. Then one got burnt while measuring ambient temp at the bottom of my Toastess chamber. Not sure how that happened... Now, it seems to be reading way wrong. To compare, I place it and my CDN digital thermometer in exactly the same place and here were the readings:
CDN Digital: Yellow - 354; 1C - 405; End - 426
TMD-56: Yellow - 292; 1C - 321; End - 330

Roasts are not coming out super light. They are pretty consistent with what you would expect at that temp. City+ to Full City.

2. Artisan is no longer keeping events intact after clicking OFF. They simply disappear.
David + Mae
Purista Coffee Co.

pShoe

#2: Post by pShoe »

A good way to test a thermocouple's accuracy is place it in a cup of ice water or boiling water. You'll be able to see if it is way off. I'm not sure what probes you are using, but check out Omega if you need to replace yours.

Advertisement
Purista (original poster)

#3: Post by Purista (original poster) »

Looks like it is the probes. Hopefully. The k-types that came with the monitor apparently aren't too great. They're rated higher than a roast ever gets, but I guess that doesn't matter...

Guess I need to budget for more expenses for this darned thing. :roll:

Any suggestions for which probes by Omega?
David + Mae
Purista Coffee Co.

pShoe

#4: Post by pShoe »

Purista wrote:Any suggestions for which probes by Omega?
This works well for me. Omega allows for a fair amount of customization so you can dress up a thermocouple to however you want, and more importantly to integrate with your specific roaster.

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Go for one with an ungrounded tip to avoid electrical noise in your readings.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

iginfect

#6: Post by iginfect »

"Kapton® Insulated Thermocouple Wire type K 30 Ready-Made Insulated Thermocouples - Package of 5. http://www.omega.com/pptst/KK_WIRE.html
They come beaded at one end. They are very hard to strip and it is difficult to tell the red from the yellow. They are thin and easy to route, much easier than what Randy shows in his manual."
This is from a previous post of mine TC4 + HTC roast controller for Hottop available
The omega url doesnt seem to list the set of 5 precut and beaded, this is a must. Search their site.
Marvin

iginfect

#7: Post by iginfect »

"Kapton® Insulated Thermocouple Wire type K 30 Ready-Made Insulated Thermocouples - Package of 5. http://www.omega.com/pptst/KK_WIRE.html
They come beaded at one end. They are very hard to strip and it is difficult to tell the red from the yellow. They are thin and easy to route, much easier than what Randy shows in his manual."
This is from a previous post of mine TC4 + HTC roast controller for Hottop available page 8.
The omega url doesnt seem to list the set of 5 precut and beaded, this is a must. Search their site.
Marvin