Terms used by coffee roasters.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sonnyhad

#1: Post by sonnyhad »

I see terms used in my reading that I don't understand, I looked in the glossary and still no luck, so here goes.
What does tipping mean? I mean there is no waitress involved?
And RoR, i think that means rate of roast but not positive.
LMWDP 437

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Sonny,

Tipping means that the "tips" of some of the beans exploded off bodies (usually) during 1st Crack. Don't worry about identifying the tips with precision; any fracturing is referred to as tipping. Tipping can be caused by many things, but most often by uneven drying resulting from too high a charge temperature. Another symptom of the same problem, is scorching. Bean fragmentation also occur during the phase known as "stupidly over-roasting."

RoR is "rate of rise," defined as increase in unit temperature divided by unit time; usually F/min or C/min. If you have a reliable read on BT (bean mass temperature), you use the RoR to anticipate the times for roast milestones like "end of drying," 1stCs (start of 1st Crack), and your preferred drop (beans out of the roaster) temperature.

Note that the second R in RoR stands for "rise," and not "change." If, at any time, after "the turn," RoR goes static or negative, it's the dreaded "stall." A very bad thing.

You can compute RoR for ET (environmental temperature) as well, but the information isn't nearly as useful unless you REALLY know your roaster and/or it only offers very simple control. Still, better than nothing.
It's not uncommon to take ET outside the drum -- as long as it's in the airflow (probe located in the exhaust), it will give you sufficient insight into the dynamics inside the drum to make whatever decisions you'd do with in-the-drum ET.

Another term that's a bit problematic -- because it's used here and within the Quest community differently than other places is MET (maximum environmental temperature). Elsewhere, it usually means exactly what it says. In the Quest universe it refers to the temperature between the drum and the roaster wall, but shielded from the coil.

Hope this helps,
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

tamarian

#3: Post by tamarian »

sonnyhad wrote:I see terms used in my reading that I don't understand, I looked in the glossary and still no luck, so here goes.
What does tipping mean? I mean there is no waitress involved?
And RoR, i think that means rate of roast but not positive.
Tipping is a roast defect, see here for more: Coffee Roasting Defects Pictorial

RoR is rate of rise. see here: Roast and Learn Together - Terms and Definitions

sonnyhad (original poster)

#4: Post by sonnyhad (original poster) »

Thanks guys, when I get a roaster I can actually chart, this information will come in very handy. I'm reading a great deal these days as I contemplate a new roaster!
LMWDP 437