Temperature readings of Huky 500 after consecutive roasts

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hipporun

#1: Post by hipporun »

Ok so whenever I try to do anything more than one roast in a session, the thermocouples read crazy high temps after dropping first roast. Example: I almost always do 1lb roasts, so I'll get it up to charge temp ~385° F, charge beans hit TP so on so forth. Drop temp once 1C starts, drop beans anywhere from C-FC+, anywhere from 410-430°F BT. Leave the burner (stock) super low while I prep next roast, then I see thermocouples are reading like 510°F+. Are the readings wrong? If not how can I fluidly do consecutive roasts, I know the huky can being small commercial drum roaster.

bean2friends

#2: Post by bean2friends »

I crank up the fan to full to facilitate cooling down. Are you using the stock burner? I am and there's a setting on the main gas control (not the needle valve) that reduces the burner used to a very small area. I use that much lower setting and the full fan and the Huky cools down while I'm cooling off the beans and dumping the chaff. In fact, it cools down to the point that I have to wait a little to bring it back up to temp before another roast.

hipporun (original poster)

#3: Post by hipporun (original poster) »

Thanks. This is what I needed to know.

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

hipporun wrote:How can I fluidly do consecutive roasts?
The idea of Charging load after load without some time and effort on your part to reestablish an appropriate Charge temp is fantasy. I'm not a Huky user, and can only suggest something generic. Keep the fire very low (or off), and the door open between roasts. When you close the door and restore the fire to its usual Charge setting, the heat retained in the machine's metal will take you to Charge temp in no time.
I know the huky can being small commercial drum roaster.
First, it isn't built like a small commercial drum roaster.

Second, even shop roasters require the roast master to reestablish the Charge temp.

Third, cooling my small, commercial drum roaster to below Charge temp, reheating it, and Charging as the temp rises is part of my consistency ritual. It's probably not vital, just one of those attention to detail things which -- when taken with others -- adds up.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

edtbjon

#5: Post by edtbjon »

bean2friends wrote:I crank up the fan to full to facilitate cooling down. Are you using the stock burner? I am and there's a setting on the main gas control (not the needle valve) that reduces the burner used to a very small area. I use that much lower setting and the full fan and the Huky cools down while I'm cooling off the beans and dumping the chaff. In fact, it cools down to the point that I have to wait a little to bring it back up to temp before another roast.
... and I'm grateful about this tip on the stock burner too. This is what this forum is all about and what makes it different from many other forums about whatever activity. If someone is inclined to it, compiling a very good manual for the Huky (Quest, North, ...) from the tips, reviews and other content in this forum would be dead easy. :)