TC4 + HTC roast controller for Hottop available - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
smico

#21: Post by smico »

I have been using cheap thermocouples from EBay for a year or so, and they work just fine. At time, I checked them with iced - boiling water.

Recently I started using 1/8 inch that have less mass, and respond faster. I bought mine here:
http://www.suntekstore.ca/item-14000137 ... deg_c.html

along with metal filter:
http://www.suntekstore.ca/item-10008829 ... e_fan.html

GreenBean

#22: Post by GreenBean »

I have successfully used the same thermocouples you link to smico, but I insulated mine from the rear wall with silicone tube to get more accurate readings. These are only suitable for earlier Hottops. With the more recent models, with the drum motor moved to the left, you would have to drill through the motor to fit them. :wink:

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#23: Post by cannonfodder »

Super, and I just upgraded the electronics in my old original D model earlier this year. :cry:
Dave Stephens

JimG

#24: Post by JimG replying to cannonfodder »

Yes, I waited for that. Took you long enough :wink:

Jim

farmroast

#25: Post by farmroast »

US Plastics
I've ordered a few things from US Plastics over the years. They have a good selection of stuff. Silicon, teflon and other tubings. Their min. on some tubing is 10 feet.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

rama

#26: Post by rama »

Very impressive work here guys, so complete and professional.

What's the upper ambient temperature you're seeing when the boards are mounted inside the Hottop as in Randy's picture? Anything that could threaten the longevity of any of the TC4 components?

My current TC4 shield configuration has it mounted externally, but I do like the cleanliness of the internal approach even if I have to lose the 20x4 LCD.

GreenBean

#27: Post by GreenBean »

The area where we have installed the boards is cooled by the rear fan. I put a thermocouple in the area on one of my Hottops some years ago to check and the temperatures were of no concern at all provided the fan is running on it's lowest setting or higher for most of the roast.

If it was a problem it would also affect the power board components. I have been computer controlling my Hottops for well over two years with my own hardware, not TC4, but using similar components installed in the same location with no problems at all.

Advertisement
Randy G. (original poster)

#28: Post by Randy G. (original poster) »

rama wrote:My current TC4 shield configuration has it mounted externally, but I do like the cleanliness of the internal approach even if I have to lose the 20x4 LCD.
I have a 10" Dell mini Inspiron, and while there is a use for the mini LCD display in some instances, the ability to have a large, real-time graph using RoastLogger (or similar app), to me makes the LCD obsolete. The added benefit with the HTC is that it is activated when the USB cable is connected to the laptop, and without the cable the Hottop works as it did before the boards were installed. All that with no other sign that the Hottop has been modified other than the added USB port. I think these guys have achieved a "best of three worlds" solution! :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JimG

#29: Post by JimG »

rama wrote:...even if I have to lose the 20x4 LCD.
Not so fast, there Rama 8)

Assuming you have a relatively modern version of the TC4 shield, it will have a 4-pin I2C header that remains unused and available. A simple 4-wire cable snaked to the outside of the roaster allows you to connect an LCD display and have it concurrently display BT, BT-RoR, ET, ET-RoR, heater output level, and fan output level. I frequently roast using both the computer display and the LCD.

Jim

rama

#30: Post by rama »

JimG wrote: Assuming you have a relatively modern version of the TC4 shield, it will have a 4-pin I2C header that remains unused and available.
I must be an early adopter- I have about 10 leads from the shield to the LCD. Ah well, its easy enough to extend them. Maybe I'll pick up a ribbon cable from Cables-To-Go or Monoprice when I get the USB panel to make it cleaner.

JimG wrote: I frequently roast using both the computer display and the LCD.
Me too. Its analogous to wearing a watch even when you have a phone in your pocket- its just more convenient for a quick glance.