SWP Decaf Peru roast intermingles first and second crack

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
roastimo

#1: Post by roastimo »

A couple of dozen roasts of Swiss Water Decaffeinated Peru have produced similar results: the cracks start early--at low temperature--and the second crack blends right into the first, no interval, not much of a slow down. I drop it when the beans look at least cracked once, but there is always a mix. Any thoughts, please. Typical Artisan output below.

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

roastimo wrote:A couple of dozen roasts of Swiss Water Decaffeinated Peru ...
Decaf. The decaffeination process degrades the cell structure and my guess is that heat is compounding your difficulty, with 2nd spilling right after 1st.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/con ... als-decafs
-----
LMWDP #339

roastimo (original poster)

#3: Post by roastimo (original poster) »

Decaf. The decaffeination process degrades the cell structure and my guess is that heat is compounding your difficulty, with 2nd spilling right after 1st.
Thanks, and for the link. To be clear, second crack in these roasts can be heard along with the first for several minutes. The cracks take up 50% of roast time. I have tried lower heat, stretching drying, but astringent flavour developed noticeably. The shorter drying results in okay flavour, and the colours are off as talked about on the resource link. It is an odd roast.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

One trick that's worked for me in the Behmor was to up the bean load. Where I normally roast 300 - 350 grams in the Behmor, I'd load in up to 453 grams of decaf which would help slow the roast without having to change the profile too much.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

roastimo (original poster)

#5: Post by roastimo (original poster) »

re
slow the roast
and no, I have not tried that, so thanks.
I have a standard 1150 g charge in practise, which is less than the 1500 g other TJ-067 users claim to be maximum. There is obviously head room to up the charge. Thanks again.