Sweet Maria's Nano Challa

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
quality8453

#1: Post by quality8453 »

At the suggestion of a friend I got some of the Nano Challa that Sweet Maria's is offering right now and roasted it. I did what I would usually do on the Behmor, 300 g, roasted manual mode with the weight set at 1lb, P5 from the start; I had a bit of a dip in temperature as the exhaust fan came on at 7:30 in, but managed to keep it rising somewhat smoothly after. Temperatures were taken from the B sensor button, and the roast was cooled with the door open and an external fan blowing on the drum.

The profile is below. I tasted it two days after roasting, and wasn't blown away, but it was nicer about 4 days after roasting.

I searched here but found no record of anyone else posting in re: this coffee. Would love to learn how to roast it better, so thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

amh0001

#2: Post by amh0001 »

Can you tell us how the coffee tastes? what flavors were bad or good? what was lack luster about it?

quality8453 (original poster)

#3: Post by quality8453 (original poster) »

The notes from SM read:
Nano Challa has a [...] bright and well-structured cup flavor profile. The underlying sweetness in light to middle roasts is reminiscent of white honey, which is mildly fruited in flavor, and a note of ginger chew candies. Lighter roasts have a mild citrus note, along with jasmine flower, and Earl Grey tea accents. Darker fruit tones are built up at deeper roast levels, along with a Ricola-like dark herbal aspect. This years' Nano Challa has a dense mouthfeel, especially in middle to dark roasting, making for a nice choice for espresso blend accent coffee. Nano Challa cups OK at Full City+, but loses the intense sweetness and bouquet of fruit that is afforded at light to middle roasting.
I don't have a sophisticated palate, but I'm not getting a lot of sweetness or "Earl Grey tea accents." There is what I would describe as a slight fruity note, and it's not bad overall, just not great, either.

SM has some advice on their Web site regarding the roasting of wet-processed Ethiopians: http://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/node/9246
This is not a coffee that you can bully with intense heat or one that will forgive you like a Kenya. Roasting Ethiopian coffees well is as much as a finesse game as there is in coffee roasting.

The quintessential cup qualities of the best Ethiopian coffees are the sweet floral notes, followed by the potent citrus notes. It's important to keep your eyes on the prize of the florals though, as many roasters get hung up on the lemongrass and citrus and end up roasting to that while burying the beautiful jasmine and honeysuckle notes. In some, the citrus and floral notes are perfectly married into bergamot.

The secret to bringing out the best of Ethiopian coffee is not just in roasting them lighter. The key really lies in the controlled velocity in 1st crack. The 1st crack in these coffees can start slow and then just keep trickling along without ever seeming to reach a defined conclusion. Allowing this to happen can result in some really muddled flavors in the cup or even just a lack of definition in the citrus notes and otherwise. While you don't want to dry out the coffee too quickly in the beginning stages, it's a good idea to make sure there's a little extra energy at least when you're going into first crack.

Giving the roast a boost right before getting into the crack and making sure that there's a nice rolling vigorous crack is what you're aiming for. Don't push right on through; once there's a nice rolling crack you'll want to pull back on that energy or adjust the air (depending on your roaster) in order to make sure you don't get too short of a crack. You're looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of a good minute and a half to 1:45, and you want a clear end point to the crack as well without too many straggler pops.
A few weeks ago I roasted a different Ethiopian (admittedly, a natural) and tried a more gradual warming up. I used the auto-roast P3 profile until the exhaust fan came on at 7:30, then I switched over to manual mode P4/P5 with fast drum speed through the end. I was only roasting about 200g, but the roast took longer than usual. The fragrance of the roasted beans was incredible, but in the cup the expected fruity/floral notes were very, very soft and muted. So much so, that my wife, who typically dislikes dry-processed Ethiopians, liked it very much. But I was disappointed. When I asked the roaster at Bodhi Leaf about this (that is where I got the beans), he said, in effect, the opposite of what SM advises above: "we throw a lot of heat at it in the early part of the roast, and (without scorching) taper it off as the coffee approaches 1C."

I have roasted a few other wet-processed Ethiopians in my Behmor just like I roasted this Nano Challa, and have been well-pleased. Maybe the anticipation created by the score and the marketing prose from SM had an effect, but I'm just curious if others have a clear idea of how to roast this one to bring out the best.

Devin H

#4: Post by Devin H »

Based on the tasting notes those flavors are, in my experience, more difficult to detect than flavor descriptors like fruits or florals. I've generally had a more difficult time in finding herbs and 'honey'. Honey itself is a mild flavored food... could just be me though.

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

How did you generate the graph?

a few years back I had 20 lbs of an Ethopian that was an amazing blueberry bomb when roasted properly. Using my Behmor I managed to get 2 roasts out of 20 lbs that were exceptional and the rest were just coffee. I am admittedly not a very good roaster, but I find the Behmor makes it very hard to be consistent and very difficult to document what is actually happening so you can do it a second time.

Ira

#6: Post by quality8453 (original poster) »

ira wrote:How did you generate the graph?

a few years back I had 20 lbs of an Ethiopian that was an amazing blueberry bomb when roasted properly. Using my Behmor I managed to get 2 roasts out of 20 lbs that were exceptional and the rest were just coffee. I am admittedly not a very good roaster, but I find the Behmor makes it very hard to be consistent and very difficult to document what is actually happening so you can do it a second time.
The graph was generated using Rainfrog Roastmaster: https://rainfroginc.com/roastmaster

Were you doing this roasting before you modified your Behmor, or after?

Regarding consistency and the Behmor, it is possible to achieve a reasonable amount of it, but it takes some practice. IME the Behmor is very sensitive to ambient temperature, so that what you do when it's 65F vs. what you do to get the same result at 75F ambient temperatures may be a bit different, as an example.

I think that Bodhi Leaf Drima Zede is to die for, and I've managed to get very consistent, lovely roasts of it pretty consecutively.

amh0001

#7: Post by amh0001 »

Okay, well I dont know much about the behmor as I've never roasted on one, I roast on a quest and started on a fresh roast.

I looked at your graph, is each white dot on the bottom a minute? If so I would try to shorten you roast, and I would try dropping the beans earlier, even to right before first crack is even finished.

Try that and let me know what your think.

#8: Post by quality8453 (original poster) replying to amh0001 »

The start of first crack on the graph is indicated by the lightning bolt, and for the record it ran from 13:07 to 14:56, and I ended the roast/opened the door at right around 15:00.

On what basis would you suggest this?

As an aside, a few weeks ago I had the Behmor shut down (Err2) due to overheating. It does this when the roasting chamber gets > 331F. It was a warm day and I had just gotten into first crack on another Ethiopian, but I should have been watching the temperature more carefully. In any case, I didn't even try a cup of it, because the fragrance of the semi-roasted beans just wasn't appealing.

If you would elaborate a bit on why I should cool the beans even before first crack is finished, I would be interested to read.

amh0001

#9: Post by amh0001 »

I don't mean to be rude, but I am after all trying to help you by giving some suggestions. You could maybe try it?

The first reason I am suggesting these things is from my own roasting and tasting experience. The roast times on your behmor might not be able to get a shorter roast. Several of my roasts are as short as 8-9 minutes total. However I do notice that when you stretch a roast out like 15 minutes, it can lower acidity. African coffees are known for having acidity that lend towards the fruity flavors.

You can read more about this here.
https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/ ... roast-pt-3

And watch this here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC085AYyR8w

With my Freshroast and my Quest I generally find I enjoy Ethiopian beans dropped earlier.

Another huge tip is: try to learn how to turn your tastes into words. I see so many people post graphs saying the roast wasn't great, but they don't say why. A graph is only one piece of the puzzle, you need to combine the graph with your tastes so you can understand what your actually doing. For instance, I know that if I taste pencil shavings or cardboard that my roast was baked. If I taste burnt tar or oil, I probably roasted to dark. If it tastes vegital or too acidic I ether roasted too light or just under developed. Tasting with other people is the easiest way to learn quickly.

I generally roast 4-8 batches a few times a week, and I cup them all. I too had batches that stalled or had what I thought were mistakes, but in the end they tasted much better then I thought.

Here is cupping
http://www.scaa.org/PDF/resources/cupping-protocols.pdf

and here is a flavor wheel to help you put some words to what your tasting
http://www.scaa.org/?page=resources&d=scaa-flavor-wheel

Anyways, I hope this helps!
Cheers.