Sweet Maria's Espresso Workshop #36 Subiramo

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

Context is here: Subiramo!

Or to quote:
Espresso Workshop #36 - Subiramo

Workshop #36 is an "exotic" addition to the series, brewed coffee of the fruit-forward nature - berries, tropical fruit and cooked plum - with darker roasts folding in equal parts bittersweet cocoa roast tones. These characteristics are distilled in espresso shots, with flashes of baking spice and even a floral grace note. City+ to Full City+. Excellent for espresso.

Origin: Ethiopia, Tanzania, Rwanda
Roast Recommendations
If you're looking for dual-use roast, go for Full City; brewed coffee is nice as light as City+, and espresso roasts as far as FC+
Organic: No
Farm Gate: Some
Recommended for Espresso Yes
Description
This edition of our Workshop blend sees a mix of new-crop African coffees, together resulting in a flavor-profile that is much more characterized by exotic notes rather than the sort of classically-oriented cocoa and nut tones offered by many coffees from the Americas. It works well as brewed coffee and espresso, and the recommended roast spectrum is fairly wide appealing to those who prefer slightly "lighter, brighter" as well as those who like to develop a healthy dose of roast tones. For us, we found the most "balance" of flavors at Full City (though that term doesn't really apply to this blend!), even toward the outer edge, just beyond. The blend consists of equal parts Tanzania pulp-natural and Rwanda Mutovu Cooperative, as well as a dash of dry-processed Adado Salula. Only 1/5 of the blend is the dry-processed component, but that little slice makes a lasting, and fruited impression. From light to dark, this Workshop blend stands out, impresses. It's less about integration of flavors, and more about singling out the sweet and tart fruit notes high above a grounding sugar and cocoa bittersweetness (due-in-part to the heavy bourbon variety base). Why "Subiramo"? Well, in Kinyarwandan, it means something to the effect of "can you please repeat that", which in this case I'm using in place of "say what", an exclamation of sorts. Take a sip and you'll taste what I mean!

We roasted this blend to both City+ and Full City, and both performed really well in both brew and espresso applications. Though the dry-process coffee is only 1/5 of the blend, it's one of the loudest voices in the cup conversation. It's sensed immediately in the ground coffee, berry ripe plum tones, rustic sweetness followed closely by baking spice and brown sugar, the Rwandan coffee characteristics edging in. Wetting the coffee produces a very dense sweetness, blueberry pie and maple sugars. Full City has a deep chocolate smell too, a worthy challenger to the fruited competition. City is a bit too light for this Workshop coffee, the blending of washed/dry-process coffees finding equilibrium around-and-beyond a City+ level of development. Sweetness is much more realized at this level too, with a nice mix of red berry notes and dark sugar sweetness. You'll sense the highest level of acidity at City+ too, and upon reaching FC, flattens out a bit, ushering in complex layers of cocoa notes. Red berry and cooked fruit notes still sit way out on top, and the blend with bittersweet chocolate bar flavors is intense to say the least. Espresso shots at this roast level are stacked with cocoa roast tones, intermixed with bursts of fresh and cooked berry notes, guava chews ("guayaba" candies), fig bar, subtle flashes of warming spice and an every-so-slight floral grace note. Mouthfeel is very creamy drawing out the complex cocoa tones to a long bittersweet finish. It's always good to let your espresso roasts rest, and a profile like this will benefit from at least a couple days, try 72 hours for the best results. Your patience will be rewarded with a much more harmonious espresso profile.
I am trying to roast 200 gm as an evaluation profile so I'm exploring this coffee as 200 gram roast samples. But I'm not driving too well these days since I just insulated the roast 1 week ago and just 4 days ago learned that I was roasting with a clogged fan draw. So excuse the 3 poor profiles.

Roast 1.

I did not know it, but my fan was not working. I had to use alot of heat to drive this by mostly conduction and the roast got away from me. So we have well-developed FC/FC+

This has the clove, cherry cola, chocolate notes of a FC+ fruit forward espresso. I recommend it. That 20% natural process does show up in the taste profile. But I am after the lighter side of this blend so:

Roast 2.

Heat settings and fan action now working like I had become accustomed. The fan actually works. So I was trying for a City roast and a Rao profile. Also the charge size is giving me higher temp readings at lower roast landmark points than with higher charge sizes:

[Aeropress Feb 1:] sweet. perfumed. floral. no bitter. slick It has been a bit chalky as espresso but sure works as pourover.

Roast 3.

A third roast by different heat setting as I accustom myself to this charge mass, insulated roaster, functioning fan.

Berries and sweet espresso, no chalky.
I've updated the entries for taste (1 Feb 2016)

Has anyone else here been roasting and extracting Subiramo and care to comment or share?
LMWDP #198

rgrosz

#2: Post by rgrosz »

I bought some of this Subiramo last year and roasted it twice in November 2015. I roasted 227g on my Hottop B-2K to about 2:30 past the start of first crack. At this roast level it works very well both as espresso, and for lattes.

NOTE - my thermocouples read 30 degrees low ... st others.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

Chert (original poster)

#3: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I edited in some tasting notes.

I'm glad I have 4 more pounds stored up for future enjoyment.
LMWDP #198

kboom1

#4: Post by kboom1 »

I purchased 5lb of this 3 weeks ago. Took my 1st roast to a FC+ - a few snaps in to 2C. Had a black licorice taste profile until 2 weeks out, after that : wow became one of my instant favs. At the 2 week mark displays a great tasting sweet dark chocolate, salted caramel, slight cherry jolly rancher taste profile. great for making my morning latte. My suggestion is to let rest for 2 weeks you wont regret it. Sorry no chart for roast profile. I decided to ditch artisan for a while to hone my skills. Roasting on a USRC 1lber.