Steam oven and coffee roasting

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jzagaja

#1: Post by jzagaja »

Who tried hot steam 220degC for 10-20 minutes? In this paper author claims that roasted robusta is a better antioxidant. What about taste?

http://www.insightsociety.org/ojaseit/i ... ad/493/532

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

i'd say that most people here roast for taste rather than for anti oxidants, but you may want to check out the post about green coffee flour.
Personally I'm not convinced that anti oxidants do that much and health will benefit more from the overall intake pattern of food and drink than by using supplements or other add ons, but more important to me is the fact that I'm not prepared to drink robusta even if it contains a little more anti oxidants than arabica beans.
LMWDP #483

jzagaja (original poster)

#3: Post by jzagaja (original poster) »

I like robusta taste and are more interested in taste as steam transfers heat better. I have very good steam oven and going to try. Hot air was good - very even roast.

#4: Post by jzagaja (original poster) »

13 minutes in 220deg hot-air+steam without preheating in 150deg for 5 minutes. As expected uneven.

#5: Post by jzagaja (original poster) »

Taste is good (La Pavoni Europiccola), slightly acidic but nothing to worry. Tasted just after cooling.

CoffeeRoastersClub

#6: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

The unevenness has nothing to do with the steam and everything to do with lack of bean mixing while roasting. At least that is what I can gather from you roasting the beans in a pan. Maybe you can find a tumbler with a windup spring motor that will turn the drum in your oven.

Len
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace

endlesscycles

#7: Post by endlesscycles »

This is fascinating!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

endlesscycles

#8: Post by endlesscycles »

jzagaja wrote:13 minutes in 220deg hot-air+steam without preheating in 150deg for 5 minutes. As expected uneven.

<image>
How about a mesh tray? I think agitation might not be super crucial with a single layer... I suspect this method could offer superb results.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

endlesscycles wrote:I suspect this method could offer superb results.
Can you explain why? My thougjts are that the humidity may not be good but have nothing to base that on...
LMWDP #483

endlesscycles

#10: Post by endlesscycles »

simple. faster roasts with lower environment temps. Much like a Loring.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC