Some insights from three famous 3rd Wave roasting pros

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

Link here:
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/07/c ... -ball.html
Liz Clayton wrote:We all know there's something beyond getting coffee to taste a particular way than just how it's grown, or how we brew it. The way a roaster approaches the practice of roasting-their own unique combination of graphs and data points, training and experimentation, computers and science, feel, smell, and intuition-has everything to do with what you taste in the cup. We took some time with three influential roasters in the specialty coffee industry to talk a little bit about how they got into roasting to begin with, and where they've taken it now.

(cont'd)

Re: Andrew Barnett, Linea Cafe... Steve Kirbach, Stumptown Coffee Roasters... Trish Rothgeb, Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters
Marshall
Los Angeles

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I love pulling nuggets of insight from roasting experts like Trish. There's a fine line between dogma and well vetted practice. I thought it was interesting to hear her say that she see's no point in blending post roast for espresso blends.

And I love that two of the three great roasters that they wrote up in the article are San Francisco coffee guru's with a third, Willem Boot, also contributing.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
the_trystero

#3: Post by the_trystero »

TomC wrote:I love pulling nuggets of insight from roasting experts like Trish. There's a fine line between dogma and well vetted practice. I thought it was interesting to hear her say that she see's no point in blending post roast for espresso blends.
I'm still thinking about that one. I've done some stellar pre-roast blends but the times I've done both post- and pre-roast blends of the same set of beans the post-roast blends have been superior on the first attempt.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

Now, keep in mind that my opinion is coming from a complete and utter newbie to roasting. But, from what I have gathered in all the readings I've done over the last several years, I can't imagine that post and pre-blending doesn't make a difference. How does this fundamentally make sense unless you make sure all the post-blending beans are roasted identically to how they would roast together.

Please enlighten me...
LMWDP #670

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

Spitz.me wrote:... But, from what I have gathered in all the readings I've done over the last several years, I can't imagine that post and pre-blending doesn't make a difference...

Please enlighten me...
Same here. I took a cupping course from Trish and Nick and was very surprised to read that. I post-roast any espresso blends as the timings to cracks for the variety of origins seems important. I will try pre-roast blending the next time I roast and reevaluate my bias.
-----
LMWDP #339

pngboy

#6: Post by pngboy »

or know exactly how to roast a new coffee without any trial batches, but it took me 20+ years to know how to do that on the spot. I waste no coffee in trial batches.
mmmm.... I know she's much more experienced in roasting than me but I think even after a 100yrs experience I would want to roast some trial sample batches 1st , especially before selling it the general public. I'm sure her none trial roast would be an adequate roast though.

civ

#7: Post by civ »

Hello:
Spitz.me wrote: ... from what I have gathered in all the readings I've done ...
How does this fundamentally make sense unless you make sure all the post-blending beans are roasted identically to how they would roast together.
+1

In preparation for eventually getting down to actually do it, I have been reading quite a bit about home coffee roasting during the last couple of years and one of the most important (if not the most important) concept I have drawn from my reading is that no two coffees are the same, so (at least to me) it seems to makes sense that they would be roasted separately and then blended, adjusting the blend to achieve the desired flavour, much like it is done with whisky malts.

Having said this, which would be the traditional method for blending?

Thanks in advance,

CIV

Advertisement
farmroast

#8: Post by farmroast »

I can see where it makes sense to try to work out a pre roast blend for smallish commercial roasters. Otherwise the quantity that would result might be too much. But post roast blending can certainly provide more options too. And for us homeroasters it's nice to roast up 2-4 beans and then play with adjusting proportions post roast
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Spitz.me

#9: Post by Spitz.me »

What I think isn't realized as much or isn't considered very well, at the very least, is that a blend of beans means you don't get the 'right' mix of the beans in every shot. I'd say for me, as a future home roaster, I'm going to enjoy the ability to add different beans to a shot/cup at a ratio that I create on the spot. Sometimes the shot doesn't work because the mix of beans just doesn't work*, just because a mix is 20/80 doesn't mean your shot is always a mix of beans at 20/80.

Also, if the roaster is pre-blending their roast it is likely there are bags with negligible amounts of the lesser bean type.

/edit *I mean, it's just not as great as you have had. You tend to think about what you could have done differently or maybe blame the aging of the beans, but sometimes, it's just a sh*tty ratio in your portafilter.
LMWDP #670

tamarian

#10: Post by tamarian »

I think some blends would work well pre-blended, and others are best post blended. I currently post blend light roasted (City) Ethiopian Geredwaha, with dark roasted (Full city) Brazil YB. If I pre blend it, I'll have to sacrifice some notes by going light or dark, and won't be getting the best of each bean.