Smoke elimination on a Huky 500?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
abhishah

#1: Post by abhishah »

Hi All,

We haven't used a huky 500 in a while but intend to start using it again as our sample roaster has broken down.

We are roasting in a shop environment, any advice for a good smoke elimination system would be highly appreciated, i guess an after burner would be pointless, but something that would help to get rid of the smoke would be awesome.

Thank you

abhishah (original poster)

#2: Post by abhishah (original poster) »

Came across this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-4-6-8-In ... 0918771519

What are your thoughts?

kellzey

#3: Post by kellzey »

abhishah wrote:Hi All,

We haven't used a huky 500 in a while but intend to start using it again as our sample roaster has broken down.

We are roasting in a shop environment, any advice for a good smoke elimination system would be highly appreciated, i guess an after burner would be pointless, but something that would help to get rid of the smoke would be awesome.

Thank you
As you know, smoke is a by-product of coffee roasting. There is no way to eliminate it. Only to expel the smoke elsewhere.

Is there no way to vent it out of the shop using his vent attachment?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

If you have a high voltage supply you could build yourself an electrostatic precipitator.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bean2friends

#5: Post by bean2friends »

kellzey wrote:As you know, smoke is a by-product of coffee roasting. There is no way to eliminate it. Only to expel the smoke elsewhere.
Is there no way to vent it out of the shop using his vent attachment?
I use the vent attachment and a wet vac 2 1/2" hose to get the smoke out of my basement roasting area. The idea of the precipitators reminds me of the old days when many of us smoked in our offices. I had a persnickety secretary who objected to the smoke. All of my efforts to eliminate the offensive odor with precipitators were for naught. Moreover, my experience in the local gambling halls suggests that even with really expensive equipment, it's almost impossible to get rid of the smoke that way. I think you've got to suck it out right at the source.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

If you can put it near a big roaster and run it's exhaust near that big one's intake you'll probably solve the problem.

Ira