Smart ceramic roaster Ceroffee CRF-800

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
tohenk2

#1: Post by tohenk2 »

Does anybody know this roaster?

http://cmtech.en.ec21.com/Smart_Ceramic ... 78823.html

It seems to have been on display at Seoul Café 2015 exhibition / Latte art competition.

CoffeeRoastersClub

#2: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

Rated Voltage : 220V, 60Hz Single phase

I would think they would be referencing U.S. config as it is 60 hz & not 50hz. Question is why use 220VAC for what appears to be a small capacity roaster with advertised great efficiency? :shock: Why not use regular 110VAC household.

"Energy Saving
Because a heater is mounted inside the drum and heat the coffee directly, the product is very energy-efficient. Thus, even less power, for a processing capacity, enables good roasting, and less power consumption releases customers' worry about electricity fees."

Len
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace

tohenk2 (original poster)

#3: Post by tohenk2 (original poster) replying to CoffeeRoastersClub »

I don't know ... I guess it is targeted only for the Korean market then. Korea has 220V 60Hz. (In The Netherlands we have 220-240V 50Hz.)
The Gene Café (also from Korea) says 50/60Hz and ranges from 110 to 240V - so that is obviously more international.

Since I don't want anything on gas (gut-feeling), came across this thing that seems to be on the market for about 2 years I wondered if anybody on this forum already had some experience with it.

billsey

#4: Post by billsey »

I requested info from them when the roaster was first announced last year. They said then it was only going to be available in Korea initially, and the pricing equated to US $6000-8000.

#5: Post by tohenk2 (original poster) replying to billsey »

Ok - This puts it in the category "not for me" then.

Thanks!

bacchus

#6: Post by bacchus »

I have one and my husband uses it to roast occasionally, but I have pretty much no experience on it.

It's a very very attractive machine, but there are some drawbacks :

1. No Airflow control at all.
2. Drum Rotation speed not controllable
3. Bean cooling fan is just barely on the right side of acceptable

Nice thing about it is that if you are a beginner roaster who doesn't want to fuss with much, you can get a good basic roast out of it AND it's very "clean" - not much to maintain or clean. There are no manual controls at all, you have to get familiar with the software as you program it on that, as far as I understand. It's not super intuitive which is probably why I haven't gone on to roast on it. There is a standard program already installed which will give you an acceptable med-dark level roast.

I think I paid under USD4k for it.

#7: Post by tohenk2 (original poster) replying to bacchus »

Ok - that was informative! Thank you Estelle.

ripcityman

#8: Post by ripcityman »

I have a 220 VAC electric roaster. It is more efficient than 110 VAC. If you double the voltage you half the current. Ohm's law. I assume that roaster is well over 1500 watts, and most US household outlets ( 120 VAC) are 15/20 amps, unless you are talking about stoves, dryers, electric water heaters, which all use 220 VAC.