Show your home roasting setup!

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 am

Here's a quick snapshot of my home roasting setup (and a bit of Dustin's), I thought it would be cool to see others as well.

I found a very good use for Orphan Espresso's flexible flashlight that I bought for boiler inspection. It's completely out of the way, easily positionable, and it focuses a perfect bright light right thru the window. Judging my drying phase by sight just got a whole lot easier. I would occasionally flash a small flashlight at it, but it was always a PITA since it took my attention away, and one of my hands.

It looks better in person. The hood light isn't as overwhelming, and the light from the flashlight isn't so blue. I didn't adjust the white balance prior to uploading it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Amazingness in coffee is latent, not intrinsic"
Christopher Schooley

the_trystero
Equipment: 92 Astoria 1 grp lever, Quamar M80e, Tiamo Kettle, Aeropress/disk, Diedrich IR-1

Postby the_trystero » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:59 am

My first setup. If the stove was near a window in my current place I'd still be doing it occasionally.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon

espresso machines, grinders, brewing equipment & parts
TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Dang it was pretty tough for you right handed folks back in the day :oops:

Actually, I'm sure it worked better than my whirly top, which was razor thin and prone to scorching beans.
Christopher Schooley

tamarian
Equipment: GS/3MPS, K10F, Marco UG, PID gas 1 kg fluid bed roaster

Postby tamarian » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Mine here is a new electric 1/2-1 Kg fluid bed roaster still under development but started producing good results:

1/2 kg in motion:

Onobeano latte blend from Coffee bean corral:

MSH
Equipment: Modded Hottop B2, Vario w/ Dittings, OE Lido1 #33, Rancilio Silvia, Mazzer Major

Postby MSH » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:01 pm

All my roasting is relegated to the garage. Wife would kill me if I fired up indoors....
Hottop B2 w/ JohnB. modified drum (i.e. larger drum fins)...

docjoe
Equipment: Alex Duetto II and Mazzer Mini E, Hottop Coffee Bean Roaster KN-8828B

Postby docjoe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 pm

MSH,

Your setup looks like mine except my workbench is a lot more cluttered and I use my MacBook Air.
Cheers!

Joe

Burner0000
Equipment: Sonofresco CR1 / Silvia / Macap MX

Postby Burner0000 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Soon to upgrade to a Behmor 1600 then eventually a ful blown commercial machine

Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

dustin360
Equipment: Revolution 500 Coffee Roaster, Ditting 1203, lots o brewing devices

Postby dustin360 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Wa'il that is absolute freaking beautiful!!! I cant believe you built it!

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Burner0000 wrote:Soon to upgrade to a Behmor 1600 then eventually a ful blown commercial machine

<image>

I'm not sure the Behmor would be an upgrade from a unit like that. You have a lot more control over the roast with what's sitting there on the table.
Christopher Schooley

MSH
Equipment: Modded Hottop B2, Vario w/ Dittings, OE Lido1 #33, Rancilio Silvia, Mazzer Major

Postby MSH » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:48 pm

TomC wrote:I'm not sure the Behmor would be an upgrade from a unit like that. You have a lot more control over the roast with what's sitting there on the table.

Agreed 100%. I started on a Behmor and quickly grew tired of the lack of control and unnatural acts I had to perform to try and tailor the profile the way I wanted it. Don't get me wrong...great little roaster and I roasted some incredible coffee, but if the goal is to really elevate your game and have complete control of the roasting process the Behmor is not the route to go IMO

BTW - i admire your MacGyver skills! As others have noted a sweet set-up