Show your home roasting setup! - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Quoddy

#41: Post by Quoddy »

Quest M3 using: Amprobe TMD-56 datalogger, Omega K probes, Artisan software on MacBook Pro.

ET/MET probe is through a drilled M4 bolt holding the upper right portion of the bean chute. Currently BT probe is in the "standard location" below the trier through a drilled M8 bolt, but I'm planning on installing a short probe through the left M4 bolt of the viewing window.

There is no such thing as strong coffee, only weak people

jason32835

#42: Post by jason32835 »

I love all the high tech setups! Here is my humble method.

I have a cardboard box/strainer setup that I devised for cooling now, it works very well.

Roasting in the dark, before the wife and kiddos wake up.

Not one of my better roasts. I overdid the heat and ended up with some blowouts. I've gotten much better over the last couple months.

jamoke

#43: Post by jamoke »

My fair weather roastery:
On rainy days it's inside the porch; this time of year, back in the kitchen.
Ed Bugel
LMWDP 122
Huky #297

Hotep

#44: Post by Hotep »

Here is my little set up, in the man cave.
HotTop (off craigslist) with 12+ OXO containers for Sweet Marias beans.
Would like to devise a mechanism to blow smoke out the available window.

Quoddy

#45: Post by Quoddy »

Hotep wrote:Would like to devise a mechanism to blow smoke out the available window.
<image>
I have an almost identical window type and position. I cut, painted, and screwed a piece of plywood the identical width of the opening side of the window and just wide enough to stand a fan on. About 5 minutes into the first batch I open the window and turn on the fan.

There is no such thing as strong coffee, only weak people

sversimo

#46: Post by sversimo »

I envy you that can roast in your own home, its not the same feeling when you got to do it in the workshop... heres my workshop setup;

yakster
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by yakster »

Nice roaster, I like the trier and all the controls, and I have to say I'm a bit envious of your workshop.

That roast looked pretty light, what were you roasting and how did it turn out?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

sversimo

#48: Post by sversimo »

Thank you!

I roasted Kenya Nyeri Gaturiri PB from sweetmarias, it was about as low as you can go with this coffee, perhaps I will roast it a few seconds more next time, but I like my roasts light.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by FotonDrv »

There sure are a wide variety of roaster represented in the Thread!

I was considering the Behmor and have participated in roasting on one a couple of times, but there was fiddling around with the door to help the cooling cycle.

I have also noticed that folks have modified their Hottops so they work better. The Quest Mods seem to be for monitoring, or have I missed something.

Diedrich has a nice machine and they USED to have a small home model, the HR-1, but no longer make it and instead are selling a slightly larger machine. They are also working on a 220v all electric machine with I think is going to be in the 1 kilo capacity range.

The Huky 500 needs an external heat source.

So which one of these roasters are going to be the end all roaster for us coffee addicts?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

drgary
Team HB

#50: Post by drgary »

FotonDrv wrote:So which one of these roasters are going to be the end all roaster for us coffee addicts?
Probably something like a Mini500 at a lower price point.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!