Show your home roasting setup! - Page 23

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
vberch

#221: Post by vberch »

Got my US Roaster Corp 1-lb sample roaster a year ago and built a room around it:

Happy roasting!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#222: Post by yakster »

Nice roasting room, looks like it could double as a sauna.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

[creative nickname]

#223: Post by [creative nickname] »

Vlad, that's quite a shrine for your beautiful red sample roaster!

Mine should be arriving this week, but it will have to put up with far more humble accommodations for the foreseeable future. Somehow I don't think my landlord would be thrilled with the idea of me putting up new walls...
LMWDP #435

Tourman

#224: Post by Tourman »

Very nice, Vlad. Can you say more about the venting? Looks like it must be natural gas. In the house? Did you use Type B double wall pipe or ?
Dan
Dan

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen

vberch

#225: Post by vberch »

LOL!!
yakster wrote:Nice roasting room, looks like it could double as a sauna.

vberch

#226: Post by vberch »

Congratulations Mark! You are going to love it!
[creative nickname] wrote:Vlad, that's quite a shrine for your beautiful red sample roaster!

Mine should be arriving this week, but it will have to put up with far more humble accommodations for the foreseeable future. Somehow I don't think my landlord would be thrilled with the idea of me putting up new walls...

vberch

#227: Post by vberch »

Hi Dan, ventilation and gas was done by a local HVAC company. I am venting outside the house.
Tourman wrote:Very nice, Vlad. Can you say more about the venting? Looks like it must be natural gas. In the house? Did you use Type B double wall pipe or ?
Dan

drgary
Team HB

#228: Post by drgary »

I've done a little upgrade in home and roaster since August of 2012. I still have the HG/BM, which I may use for tiny samples.

Here's the upgrade, which I finally have working, so I've started browning some beans, a TJ-067 1 Kg gas roaster with a perforated drum.

Ah, springtime in the Pacific Northwest!

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

roastimo

#229: Post by roastimo »

The roaster I chose--my first--is a TJ-067 Electric 1 kg roaster. I had 220 V handy and the gas fittings for the TJ-067 Gas were not resolved yet at the time of order. Certainly the comments on this forum at that time influenced me in picking this low priced roaster. About 500 two pound roasts later it is easy to say it was the right one for me. It is also easy to say the next one will be a gas roaster, probably at double the size, a 2kg Chinese machine.

This is the arrival.

The roaster is in a pink box which has a front lid, not shown, and the box is heated in winter. We have mild winters and hot summers. The area is covered--12 foot ceiling--but open to air on 3 sides.

Venting is directly out.

One thermocouple is connected as shown elsewhere on this forum.

The thermocouple lead was routed through a Phidget 1048, again as discussed on this forum, and Artisan 9.0 is on the computer.

Clearly, I have thanks to offer to the members here who have generously given their expertise, so Thank You All.

[creative nickname]

#230: Post by [creative nickname] »

Here was my first set-up from when I was getting started:

And here is the current arrangement:

(You can still see my old HG/BM in the background, which was what bridged the gap between popper and commercial sample roaster for me. I mostly keep it out of sentimental value, as the USRC can roast quite small batches with decent control.)

Springtime in the gulf consists of insane levels of humidity, insects, and pollen, so I definitely prefer to roast indoors!
LMWDP #435