Show your home roasting setup! - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
craigcharity

#21: Post by craigcharity »

Hey

Here is my 'home' setup. I am starting to roast and sell so I don't know if I can call it a 'home' setup. But here goes anyway.

It is a Diedrich IR-7c(7lb) roaster. I have put a needle valve and gauge before the burners to control and moniter the pressure better, added heat exchanger fins to the heat sheilds above the drum, changed the drum speed to 60RPM and moved the IR burners to front left and back right to even the heat on the drum. enjoy

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Awesome mod! I'm jealous of your bean tryer too.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

craigcharity

#23: Post by craigcharity »

Thanks Tom, it has made it possible to get to first crack at 9:30ish minutes with 2.4kg's of beans without scorching and tipping.

tamarian

#24: Post by tamarian »

craigcharity wrote:Here is my 'home' setup. I am starting to roast and sell so I don't know if I can call it a 'home' setup. But here goes anyway.
Nah, that's the stuff we want to see here! We all need a Diedrich :) Been monitoring your progress with it. Great paint job, love the orange accent.

Arpi

#25: Post by Arpi »

This is my every weekend setup (but without the multimeter)

Cheers

cannonfodder
Team HB

#26: Post by cannonfodder »

I use a HotTop. This was the original D version from many years ago. I upgraded the electronics to the P version to get more control over the roast, added a thermocouple in the bean mass so I could keep an eye on it with the Fluke. I also welded in 3 larger veins in the drum to get more bean agitation during the roast which worked wonders. I have some dedicated 20 amp circuits in the workshop so I just run it off one of them for a good steady power feed.

Dave Stephens

drgary
Team HB

#27: Post by drgary »

This is my current Heat Gun/Bread Machine (HG/BM) setup. I'm working out the kinks with K-type temperature probes and Artisan using an Amprobe TMD-56 data logger into my MacBook. The cooling tray is also home-made from a milk crate, an office fan and the screen from a sieve. It cools faster than the Hottop B I've also started using. I roasted 1 lb. of decaf in the HG/BM tonight but am just getting started learning the feel of this setup versus the Hottop, which is slicker but has much smaller bean capacity. The Hottop is currently partly disassembled as I replace the thermocouples (TCs) from cheap wire-tipped to ones with steel tips around the sensors and steel-braided leads. I aim to control the process well enough to tune roast profiles, so this is still a beginner's journey.

Beyond learning profiling and learning how to adjust the heat gun and the vent for temperature control, I'm now visualizing the roast with Artisan. I'm getting a pretty good read-out but it's interrupted by spikes in the graph that may be caused by grounding problems. This is explored in the thread where I'm testing Artisan with a MacBook running the Lion OS.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TitoM

#28: Post by TitoM »

Video of my Huky500 in action:
LMWDP #373

endlesscycles

#29: Post by endlesscycles »

craigcharity wrote:Hey

Here is my 'home' setup. I am starting to roast and sell so I don't know if I can call it a 'home' setup. But here goes anyway.
Hi Craig,

Sweet Diedrich mods! Sounds like things they should have done from the start. Did you find a good needle valve that you could recommend? I'd like some fine resolution on adjustments, if possible.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

jedovaty

#30: Post by jedovaty »

Tito - very nice setup. I thought I had seen a TO in an earlier picture from you in the background somewhere on that shelf with your coffee stuff :)

Your roasting routine is also quite relaxed, cool. 8)