[No Longer] Seeking help for a "Rate My Roast" Blend Design

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
farmroast

#1: Post by farmroast »

I think I'm getting better at roasting and using my hybrid homebuilt roaster. But my experience with espresso designing and tasting is still "extremely" minimal. I would like to submit a post roast blend(or 2) to RMR. I want to do the roasting but get a group think on the design, roast levels and profiles of the roasts. This should help me and others to better understand the process and thinking behind designing a blend. I list below a partial list of my stash, most are from Sweet Marias where Tom's cupping notes can be found, http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greenco ... ng.reviews
Any interest or suggestions?I'm willing to send some samples to those who help too.
Ethiopia:
DP Koratie 08
DP Bonko Black Sun 08
WP Kebado 08
Sumatra:
Takengon Classic 08
Laker Tawar 06
Java:
Kajumas Curah Tatal 08
Yemen:
Sharasi 08
Ismaili 08
Kenya:
AA Auction Lot Gatomboyo 08
India:
Bababurdan 08
Liberica Anohki 08
Brazil:
Ipanema Tree Dried 08
Pocas de Caldes 08
Coromandel Sao Joao 08
El Salvador:
San Emilio 07
Santa Teresa Pacamara 07
La Montana
Guatemala:
Ocana
El Injerto Pacamara 08(non auction lot)
Costa Rica: Brumas del Zurgui pulp nat. 06
Panama:
Gesha lot 10 08
Nicaragua:
La Esperanza 07
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

GC7

#2: Post by GC7 »

You are certainly more experienced then I but you have a wonderful stash of beans to work with. I have several of the same. I'm surprised you don't have Idido Misty Valley among your beans.

I would ask you what your favorite taste profiles are before trying to start a new blend. What are you looking to accomplish?

You can make your base more "Ethiopian fruity" or alternatively use the Java low acidity chocolate flavors as a base with some Brazilian beans and work off that.

farmroast (original poster)

#3: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

My experience is in roasting and cupping brewed but not espresso. For example I've never bought a bag of roasted espresso out of my area and have only bought a couple bags local. I do make a few shots now and then but don't have much of a base of reference. I look at this as a good step in-between in the learning process.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

The standard blending strategy in Northern Italy for straight espresso is to start with a medium to light roasted, sweet and boring Brazil, then add strongly flavored coffees in small amounts. The final blend would usually end up as 50% to 75% Brazil and 25% to 50% WP Centrals, Africans, and more recently, Indian coffees.

The standard strategy for Northwestern, Peet's lineage roasters, blending for milk drinks, seems to be to start with a bitter-sweet, medium to dark roasted Indonesia/Guatemala combo and add Ethiopian beans for fruit, and Brazilian ones for crema.

I once ran across some offering sheets of Salerno based coffee importers, and they seemed to be half way between Seattle and Trieste on blending strategies.

The simplest is to have a coffee that seems to shout "SO me," and if it's not quite balanced on its own as a shot, add around 30% to 40% of whatever will balance the taste. While very few coffees work perfectly as SOs, lots work as "SOs with garnish."

For all creative work, not just for coffee blends, you need to be able to tell your audience what the point of the exercise is before asking for reviews -- unless, of course, you like being romantic, misunderstood and alone.
Jim Schulman

farmroast (original poster)

#5: Post by farmroast (original poster) »

Thanks Jim
I now better understand what your saying. Coming from a farming/foods/fiber background where we found that the industry was not paying enough attention to what people wanted, how they preferred we grow/raise it and in what way we distribute it, I tend to look at processes that in some situations are overly open minded to a fault. If that makes any sense. Back in the 1970s I had local customers who appreciated that I was designing sheep that could do well grazing on their own and had the finest quality wool while my national judges were criticizing my stock because the future was going to be feed lots and polyester leisure suits. I ended up with two separate flocks one for my interests and one that could win national competitions. To get back on topic I have been considering your mention of a SO candidate being garnished into a blend and like that approach as a start. I will give it a try and forget about my approach in this thread that is just too open ended.
thanks again,
Ed

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

Hi Ed, you're right that the big money is in mass markets -- for food, for fibers, for coffee. And by definition, the mass market is stuff for the majority of people who don't give a crap about what it is they are buying (everyone's is serious about something, but that means they aren't serious about most things). The whole rigmarole of market research, advertising etc is about selling to people who don't give an eff.

But I'm not sure how that affects your blend selection. This is the home roasting forum - so put together something you like. Once you have that, send it out and tell us why you like it. With luck, we'll be able to give some help on the tweaks. My previous post was motivated by a worry that you were looking to create a "blend by committee."
Jim Schulman