Santoker 500/Revolution 500 Roaster - User Reviews - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JavaMD (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by JavaMD (original poster) »

Roasting size ...

Just played with roasting size and increased the revolution of the drum to about 100 rpm
I was able to get a bean temp that looked good all the way down to 50 gm ... didn't try to go below that ... my largest roast so far is 533 (last of the green bean bag so didn't cut it off at 500) and still enough power to get the roast done. I think Dustin has said it will do 600 and don't doubt it for a minute. The only problem with the small roast is the lack of "drop" temp as the small mass of beans heats up fairly quickly, think if I played more with wind speed this would be less apparent. I previously posted that the smallest batch was 120 as the bean temp seemed to jump around but increasing the drum speed seemed to do a good job of keeping the beans in the BT probe.
Pretty sweet.

boar_d_laze

#52: Post by boar_d_laze »

JavaMD wrote:Roasting size ... Just played with roasting size and increased the revolution of the drum to about 100 rpm. I was able to get a bean temp that looked good all the way down to 50 gm ... didn't try to go below that
The useful temperatures from small samples is 1stCs and the temp for whatever level of finish on the C, C+, FC, etc., you're going for in your larger roasts. I suppose 1stCe might be of utility to some people as well.

Sample temps are helpful to the extent they allow you to anticipate and act proactively while roasting your full size batches. If they're more than 5F or so off, they're as much misleading as useful.
My largest roast so far is 533 (last of the green bean bag so didn't cut it off at 500) and still enough power to get the roast done.
I think you'll find after awhile that your roaster has a sweet spot range, between its nominal minimum and maximum, where agility meets load size. Tom talked about this in his description of his recent class.

You want charges large enough for stability; small enough so that momentum is not the governing factor; the ability to balance air and flame as appropriate; and the ability to conform the time for Drying and Ramp to the nearest 20sec, and the nearest 10sec for Development -- according to your profile.

(It's common not only charge according to the sweet spot, but with an eye towards future-use considerations like storage. For instance, my most common charges are 300g of greens -- which fills half a 1lb Coffeevac, and 400g -- which yields a 12oz foil bag).

The idea behind artisanal roasting is profiling with purpose and precision rather than letting the roaster drag you along for the ride. That is, the art is creating and perfecting a profile, but the craft is following it.

It sounds like your new roaster is a good tool for the job.

Enjoy,
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

dogjamboree

#53: Post by dogjamboree »

One thing I forgot to mention / ask in my previous post is how big is the tryer that came with others' roasters? Mine came with one that holds around 3g, but in Tom's / Dustin's original post there was a larger tryer shown (although no promise it would be shipped with the roasters). I'm wondering if it would be possible to order the larger tryer as an add-on, as I would find it very useful.

Frank

Taz

#54: Post by Taz »

Frank,

My roaster also came with the smaller trier, which I was slightly confused about at first. You should contact dustin about it, because I believe that was a manufacturers error. either way, he's helping me get a larger trier shipped to the states.

dogjamboree

#55: Post by dogjamboree »

Thanks Taz, that's good to hear. I'll give him a shout.

Frank

JavaMD (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by JavaMD (original poster) »

My trier scoop is 1.75 inches by 3/4 in opening ... there is a 1/4 inch that is recessed and sometimes beans stay in that if you are not carful to dump them. how big is the scoop on the larger size?

Steve

dogjamboree

#57: Post by dogjamboree »

I don't know what the measurements are, but TomC mentioned being able to hold 8-10 grams of beans, and if you look at the pictures posted on that first thread, it's definitely bigger than the one we got with this batch.

TomC
Team HB

#58: Post by TomC replying to dogjamboree »

I'm nearly certain we measured it right then and there. It's been quite a while now. It's a healthy scoop of coffee. I'd like to see pictures of what you guys have, next a US coin, or a soda can, or some other easily recognized standard sized item. Hands are subjective, so they don't help much.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

dogjamboree

#59: Post by dogjamboree »

Here's the tryer next to a dime ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself :) If it wasn't clear, that was a bad photoshop joke. This should be a little more accurate --

Taz

#60: Post by Taz »

Yea, my trier was 1.75" as well. Certainly quite a bit smaller than the beast of a trier I saw in TomC's review and dustin's videos. But no matter, I can live with the small one until the larger scoops come in