RoastLogger website has moved

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GreenBean

#1: Post by GreenBean »

I have been forced to move the RoastLogger website which is now at the following URL:

http://roastlogger.co.uk/coffee/roastlo ... logger.htm

Unfortunately this means that the links provided in various posts on this forum and elsewhere will now be dead. I have attempted to update all the links in my posts but am not able to modify links provided by other posters.

If you have posted links to the RoastLogger website I would be very grateful if you would update these links to point to the new website. The structure under http://roastlogger.co.uk/coffee/ has not been changed so it is "only" necessary to change the first part of any links from:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/green_bean/coffee/ ...

to:

http://roastlogger.co.uk/coffee/ ...

I apologise for the inconvenience this causes. Further information about the reason for the move is available on the TMC RoastLogger thread.

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Thanks Tom, bookmark updated.
LMWDP #371

Advertisement
cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

Thanks as well.

Downloaded latest release and still having USB problems with a TC4C and OS 10.11.5(El Capitan) on an i7 Mac Mini. Had the same problem with an i7 Macbook Air that is used for roasting, so reverted back to 10.10(Yosemite). Roastlogger runs fine on it.

This seems to be something tied to 10.11 and a change they made for USB security. Had hoped the latest update would have fixed it.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

GreenBean (original poster)

#4: Post by GreenBean (original poster) »

Bak Ta Lo wrote:Thanks Tom, bookmark updated.
Thanks Jeremy.

GreenBean (original poster)

#5: Post by GreenBean (original poster) »

cuppajoe wrote:Thanks as well.

Downloaded latest release and still having USB problems with a TC4C and OS 10.11.5(El Capitan) on an i7 Mac Mini. Had the same problem with an i7 Macbook Air that is used for roasting, so reverted back to 10.10(Yosemite). Roastlogger runs fine on it.

This seems to be something tied to 10.11 and a change they made for USB security. Had hoped the latest update would have fixed it.
Hi David, I believe that the problem you are having with OS X El Capitan is caused by a FTDI driver conflict. A FTDI virtual com port driver is required to communicate with a TC4C (and many other devices that use serial communication). OS X versions up to OS X 10.8 did not supply any FTDI driver so users had to install a driver supplied by the manufacturer of the FTDI chip. From OS X 10.9 Apple have supplied their own FTDI driver. Unfortunately the Apple supplied driver caused problems so users had to disable the Apple supplied driver and install the manufacturer supplied driver. OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) includes an updated Apple supplied driver which I believe has resolved the previous problems. Unfortunately 10.11 also includes new security measures that block the manufacturer supplied driver but do not re-enable the Apple supplied driver.

The problems this causes are not specific to RoastLogger or the TC4C but will affect all OS X users who have any software which communicates with a device via an FTDI chip who have upgraded to El Capitan. It is regrettable that neither Apple nor FTDI have provided any solution to this.

I do not have OS X El Capitan so I can not test any solution myself but I believe the following is correct:

1. A clean install of El Capitan should work without problems using the Apple supplied FTDI driver.

2. If you have upgraded to El Capitan from a previous version of OS X then it is highly likely that you have taken some steps to install the manufacturers driver and to disable the Apple supplied driver. If you can undo these steps then the Apple supplied driver will work. See Uninstalling FTDI VCP Drivers on OS X section 4.2

3. If you do not wish to take either of the above steps then disabling the new security measures included in El Capitan should allow the manufacturers FTDI chip to load OK as it did in previous versions of OS X. I can not recommend this approach but others have chosen to do this and confirmed that it works see this post dated Apr 15 2016 by galumay. If you try this then do not follow the instruction in the last line as this is not necessary.

If you need further information please email me.

cuppajoe

#6: Post by cuppajoe »

Thanks Tom -

Hopefully Apple will figure out the problem and correct it. When I contacted their tech support, the guy couldn't connect his keyboard, while saying he never heard of the problem...
David - LMWDP 448

galumay

#7: Post by galumay replying to cuppajoe »

I dont think so, its working just as Apple intend. I am guessing its got even more difficult to resolve with Sierra, although I havent upgraded my roasting laptop to the developer release so not sure. The effect on things like RoastLogger are an unintended consequence of Apples desire to maintain the highest possible security for users by default - and they are making more of this stuff non user selectable so you can only make changes thru terminal.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

Advertisement
Bob_M

#8: Post by Bob_M »

Ive given up on Apple. Steve Jobs is dead. I put a dual boot in my macbook air (widows seven) and havent looked back.

cuppajoe

#9: Post by cuppajoe »

I run Roastlogger on an i7 Macbook Air on 10.10 with no problem. My backup computer, and if need be can boot to an external with the desktop clone running 10.11. Only reason I upgraded was for Lightroom. If nothing compelling to move to the latest, will stick with that.
David - LMWDP 448