Roasting with a Farberware rotisserie

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Greetings -

In my wanderings in the espresso wilderness I've discovered roasting, and while rummaging around ebay for possible machine projects I've seen listings for roasting drums to fit BBQ rotisseries.

I have access to a Farberware electric grill with the rotisserie attachment and was wondering if this would be a viable setup. If so, would it be better, in terms of consistency, to go the 8oz route, or the 1lb? Also considering the iRoast2 and wonder if it would be the better option. Unfortunately the Hottop or Behmor is beyond budget at the moment and I haven't run across any fixer-uppers.

Thanks for any insight and advice.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

allon

#2: Post by allon »

I believe iRoast2's are out of production. And while I love my iRoast2's, it's only because I've heavily modified them.

If budget is an issue, why not try a heat gun? Or popcorn popper?
I don't think the faberware roaster is a viable option; it's hard enough to get them to roast food, much less coffee ;)
LMWDP #331

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

The Farberware Roti doesn't generate anywhere near enough heat to roast coffee.

If you can't afford a Behmor, your next best options are the Fresh Roast SR500 and the Nesco Coffee Roaster. The Nesco goes for around $150; while the SR 500 is $170ish.

The Nesco is on the slow side, and anything roasted well into second crack, past FC+, will taste "baked" and flat.. If you like dark roasts you'd probably rather have the FR SR500. If you're never going to go past FC+, the Nesco is a slightly better roaster which requires far less screwing around than the FR.

Neither roaster batch roasts (i.e., roasts one charge after another in quick succession); and both do very limited quantities -- around 4oz max. I don't know about you, but 4oz will barely get my wife and I through the day -- if my wife only has one cup.

I'm not a huge fan of the Behmor, which has a large set of its own limitations. But all things considered, if you're going to roast the majority of the coffee you drink, and are sure you're not going to get bored with the hobby in the near future -- at twice the price it still represents much better value than the Nesco or FR. If you can't blow the budget, then the Behmor is worth saving for.
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

cuppajoe (original poster)

#4: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies, you've pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

I've researched the various fluid bed roasters and the iRoast2 seems the best bet, consistency wise, and don't feel like messing about with the air poppers. Have checked out the various hacks. Not going to be doing a lot of roasting, enough for a couple cups in the morning.

The iR2 pops up on ebait frequently and hope to catch one flying below the radar. Will also try and snag a deal on a small drum machine.
David - LMWDP 448

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

"Couple of cups in the morning," translates to about 12 oz of greens/week. That's three roasts in the Nesco and I Roast2. Maybe four in the FR which has less actual than nominal capacity.

Pardon the pessimism, but my advice for buying any used, cheaply priced, inexpensively built, electrical appliance with electronic controls which agitates small objects while heating them to 200C is "don't."

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

cuppajoe (original poster)

#6: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Point well taken. However...

Having an extensive experience with electrical/mechanical systems helps. As well as 40+ years of building cars. bikes, and bicycles. Have also been forced to learn digital systems as my profession has evolved. Used to build rockets as a kid, so know a bit about things that go BOOM.

If you want a lot of fun, start poking around a circuit with a charged 360 volt photo capacitor in it.

Lived in Monrovia in the early 70s while going to school, imagin it's changed a bit.
David - LMWDP 448