Roasting Guideline Charts -- Current Knowledge Summary

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Louis

#1: Post by Louis »

As I've recently bought thermometry equipment to add to my Hottop roaster, I've gained more interest in extracting from the numerous HB threads general and common knowledge on coffee roasting.

I've tried to summarize my findings in my existing "Home roasting neophyte: a roasting log" thread and have since started two new tables.

I would like to put them in light here to request feedback from the forum contributors, to comment and complete them.

Roast Profiling Guidelines

See Home roasting neophyte: a roasting log for more details.

Roast Level Guidelines

Diagnosis Guidelines

(1) http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/ ... 09&start=0
(2)Avoiding tipping and scorching in a Hottop
(3)Avoiding tipping and scorching in a Hottop
(4)(Hopefully) Useful Home Roasting Tips
(5)Best All-Around Roast Profile?
(6)Best All-Around Roast Profile?
(7)http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/node/2945
(8)Coffee Roasting Defects Pictorial

The latter is really a draft.

What do you think? Comments?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'll pay attention to how this develops. Hands on application may be difficult. There are so many variables. It could be like nailing jell-o to the wall.

You need to do whatever floats your boat, but spending 2 hours after a roast, uploading and tweaking data on a computer sounds like a major PITA to me, but that's a completely subjective concern.

I think it's a better way to get going then by doing what I've done in the past. I've slowly upgraded over the years, and never took notes on a single thing.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

mcwresearch

#3: Post by mcwresearch »

Louis, I think you would definitely enjoy and benefit from the book Espresso Coffee, Second Edition: The Science of Quality.

I keep it close at hand and reference it regularly.

For your Roast Level Guidelines table you may consider adding another column; "Varietal distinction*:"
  • Cinnamon: Pronounced varietals (they peak around 215°C)
    City: Varietals muted, but still clear
    Full City: Only more pronounced varietals remain, like Kenya's bright acidity, subtler notes lost
    Vienna and up: Varietals muted virtually beyond recognition.
*Home Coffee Roasting: Romance & Revival

Again, you've compiled a great reference! I'm already cribbing it. ;)

Louis (original poster)

#4: Post by Louis (original poster) »

mcwresearch wrote:For your Roast Level Guidelines table you may consider adding another column; "Varietal distinction*:"
  • Cinnamon: Pronounced varietals (they peak around 215°C)
    City: Varietals muted, but still clear
    Full City: Only more pronounced varietals remain, like Kenya's bright acidity, subtler notes lost
    Vienna and up: Varietals muted virtually beyond recognition.
Thanks. I've updated the Roast Level Guidelines with your comments and with Tom's excellent summary: Use All Five Senses To Determine Degree of Roast.

Louis (original poster)

#5: Post by Louis (original poster) »

mcwresearch wrote:Louis, I think you would definitely enjoy and benefit from the book Espresso Coffee, Second Edition: The Science of Quality.

I keep it close at hand and reference it regularly.
I've recently bought the book. I still need to find the time to go through it, especially the roasting chapter...

My intent is to capture from it any additional roasting guidelines I can to update what I have now.

Thanks for the advice Michael; it is really excellent!

Louis (original poster)

#6: Post by Louis (original poster) »

I've updated my guidelines tables with my latest readings and experience (see the updated first post).

I've also stumbled on Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste by Jim Schulman. For some reason I didn't read it until recently, even if I thought I had perused the whole Home-Barista forums over time. While it is not about roasting but rather about espresso extraction, I wanted to have it close to my espresso machine in a more visual manner, so I transcribed it to a table. Others might also find it useful. Of course, full credit goes to Jim Schulman.

Louis (original poster)

#7: Post by Louis (original poster) »

I've made another update (see OP), to the Diagnosis table (v.0.4) and to the Espresso Extraction table (v.1.1).

A lot of very interesting discussions have happened lately on HB. I've tried to capture as much as I could, while adding credit to the OPs.

CoffeeRoastersClub

#8: Post by CoffeeRoastersClub »

Louis, I enjoyed your charts. My usual roast is Full City+ for single origin arabica. I shoot for 11:50 @ 454 f to achieve the Full City+, using a guideline Tom has posted on Sweet Marias which I have found particularly helpful. I have not yet read your brewing chart; good reads on the others.

Thanks.

Len
"I'll quit coffee. It won't be easy drinking my Bailey's straight, but I'll get used to it." ~TV show Will & Grace

popeye

#9: Post by popeye »

I think you should refer to this thread as well:

How to Profile Article: brain storming session
Spencer Weber

dustin360

#10: Post by dustin360 »

These are great graphs, thanks to putting this together Louis!