Roasting Guideline Charts -- Current Knowledge Summary - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Louis (original poster)

#11: Post by Louis (original poster) »

Len, Spencer, Dustin, thanks.

I received very limited feedback on these, so it is mostly my understanding of the collective knowledge found on HB threads and elsewhere.

If you have any comments/improvements, please tell me! I'll gladly incorporate them.

I'm also thinking about putting this on Google Docs to make it a collective effort if others are interested to contribute (with some kind of versioning system to ensure only tested/validated/"peer reviewed" info is incorporated).

dustin360

#12: Post by dustin360 »

I just really like the idea of you trying to put together a graph like this, though its going to be impossible to get it 100 percent accurate. I would say a recommended drying time from me would be 3 to 6 mins, ramp time 4 to 6, finish 3 to 4. Though I may spend up to 7 mins in a particular phase on some roasts.

tamarian

#13: Post by tamarian »

Thanks for going through all this work, this is very useful.

In the diagnoses guidelines, time spent in drying phase, I think too low makes it flat, and low makes it less intense/diluted. I'm experiencing this right now while tuning a new DIY pid roaster. Drying went way faster than I intended (2 and a half minutes in a fluid bed), and while the roast was good, it lacked the full taste I was used to and required longer rest.

But waiting for more experienced roasters here to jump in and fill-in the remaining ?'s

Great work!

Zaneus

#14: Post by Zaneus »

In regards to your last table louis, what's your difference between the Total time and End Time (ET)? To me these would mean the same thing, unless i'm missing something?

Louis (original poster)

#15: Post by Louis (original poster) replying to Zaneus »

David,

ET = Environmental Temperature, i.e. the temperature inside the roast chamber (which drives BT, Bean Temperature).

The last table is still in experiment mode, with a lot of time still required to consolidate the excellent information available inside HB threads and elsewhere.

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

Louis:

To let others know what's here I wonder if it would be worthwhile altering the title to something like "Roasting Guideline Charts"?

When you complete this gem I believe it will belong in FAQs and Favorites.

(We need an applause emoticon!)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Louis (original poster)

#17: Post by Louis (original poster) replying to drgary »

Gary,

Done, for the thread renaming.

Thanks again,

Louis

JK

#18: Post by JK »

Thanks Louis..

Was just what I was looking for moving up from a Behmor to a Hot Top..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!