Roasting green beans with a wok

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LittleBean

#1: Post by LittleBean »

hi all,

I am new here...just started to roast my coffee at home.
i have limited tools, just a wok, a tiamo hand grinder and a french press.

i did my first roast and i need some help here.

i use 100grams of green Indian Moonsooned Malabar,

Roast on a stainless steel wok with medium heat for almost 50mins,
pass the first crack, but i am not sure if it reaches the second .

i find my coffee dint not taste good, attached is the photo of
my roasted bean.
Can some one hlep me out weather it is over roasted ? i am trying to
get medium roast here.

thank you.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

Fifty minutes sounds way too long, so crank up the heat (and stir like mad). Depending on yhe wok size 100 g may be too little to work comfortably, but I'll leave that to people with more experience with the wok (tried it once and it was quite poorly controllable I found so I rigged up a tin can on a drill.)
LMWDP #483

deegee

#3: Post by deegee »

Yes, definitely way too long, so most of the good stuff has been "baked" out of the the beans. As advised above, crank the heat up and to stir faster. I also suspect that a hundred grams might be too small batch for this method..
You need to aim for first crack at about 15 minutes give or take a minute or two, and if you go on to the start of Second, it should be about 3 or 4 minutes later. However for a medium roast you probably want to stop roasting and cool the beans about 2 - 3 minutes after First Crack.

LittleBean (original poster)

#4: Post by LittleBean (original poster) »

Ooh, thankz so much for the advice.
will try the second batch with a popcorn poper. :mrgreen:

Alan Frew

#5: Post by Alan Frew »

Monsooned Malabar. Roast as hot and as fast as you can until you reach first crack, then turn the heat down about 25% until you hear the little pops that signal second crack. Pour the beans out into a chilled metal bowl and fan vigorously, or use a hair dryer set on "cool" to cool the beans as fast as possible. You're starting out with a bean with a porous structure, zero acidity, funky flavours and huge body, and trying to retain decent flavours and the body.

Alan

LittleBean (original poster)

#6: Post by LittleBean (original poster) »

Thankz Alan for your feedback, i did just that with my popcorn maker...but
i cant turn down the heat as the is no option. only on n off

today i roast my Malabar with a popcorn maker

74g green beans, roughly 2 scoop (the scoop was provided by the popcorn maker)

First crack on less then 2 minutes. I finish my roasting at 2:16 as its start to smoke
like its going to catch fire.

Attaches is the photo after. Looks very uneven

the lighter beans which i pick out...is that roasted? can it be call blond roast ?

happycat

#7: Post by happycat »

LittleBean wrote:Thankz Alan for your feedback, i did just that with my popcorn maker...but
i cant turn down the heat as the is no option. only on n off

today i roast my Malabar with a popcorn maker

74g green beans, roughly 2 scoop (the scoop was provided by the popcorn maker)

First crack on less then 2 minutes. I finish my roasting at 2:16 as its start to smoke
like its going to catch fire.

Attaches is the photo after. Looks very uneven

the lighter beans which i pick out...is that roasted? can it be call blond roast ?
<image>
Get a router speed controller and it adjusts power going into the popper

Split off wiring for the popper fan and feed it directly with a used laptop DC power supply say 14-24 volts

This way you have constant fan and adjustable heat
LMWDP #603

AZRich

#8: Post by AZRich »

Before you spend money on your popper, let me recommend an easy and very cheap alternative that works very well, and allows a much better batch size than you can do in a popper. Get the Harbor Freight heatgun (on sale + with coupon its usually about $10). Then go to a 1$ store and get a big stainless steel strainer, and a big stainless spoon. So total of $13 or less for 3 items. With a little practice you can get a very nice roast at whatever speed you want depending on how close you hold the heatgun to the beans. I show an 8 oz batch in the strainer, sitting on top of a pot which works well to support it and hold in some heat below. Just hold the gun far enough away and stir constantly to get to first crack in 8-10 minutes as a good starting point (outside of course).

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm roasting in a used Illy can (plastic lid liner needs to be removed) on a cordless drill. Coat next to nothing but works very well for me!
LMWDP #483

treq10

#10: Post by treq10 »

I often roast on a cast iron pan over a gas stove. It's pretty hit or miss but I have some tips for you that will be helpful.

1. Get an infrared thermometer like this one. https://amzn.com/B00DMI632G.
2. Get your pan to 450F then drop in the beans.
3. Stir quickly, evenly, steadily. Your goal is to minimize contact time between the beans and the surface of the wok.
4. Get an air blower and blow away chaff as you roast.
5. Try to play with the heat so that you can hit an 8min 1st crack. If you did it right, you will hear 1 to 5 individual cracks over 10-20 secs and then a rolling crack for the next minute. I like to raise the heat around the 5 minute mark to ensure 1C happens around 8 mins, but that's just what works for me.
6. During the end of 1st crack or after it, you will need to lower the heat of the pan. This is the toughest part of roasting on a pan. Too hot and the beans get scorched, too low and the beans don't develop fully. You will have to figure this one out through trial and error.

I hope this is helpful. Happy roasting!