Roasting Experiments - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
day

#21: Post by day »

Catastrophe and terrible news for us stovetop guys...My second roast was dried out pretty well, 10% weight loss. 323ish as I recall.

My second roast of the same did not really speed up significantly, despite being drier. I did, however, scorch them to death. In addition, even the ones that did not scorch were much darker on the inside than the outside. They smelled of charcoal, they cupped as charcoal, the v60 was not good but passable for on the way wake up coffee I suppose....but oh man, I just made my first espresso shot. Ran a little fast but it tasted like I had gone outside, taken a lump of charcoal from my Webber, and licked it. Or at least what I imagine that would taste like, I have however had charcoal get mixed in with meat before during errors in bbq...and it was very similar to that but way more potent....terrible.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

weebit_nutty

#22: Post by weebit_nutty replying to day »

Stove-top roasting is real challenge, and is particularly difficult (if not impossible) to get a perfect roast with conventional stationary pot or pan. Inadequate agitation, poor heat distribution, and lack of precise temperature control are all things you need to deal with. I'm a big fan of hand roasting and I use an extremely light weight stainless steel hand-held pot (which is actually lighter than the beans) that mitigated those issues. These days I've playing with my Lysander sample roaster but if I simply needed more coffee, I could crank out a perfectly even roast in a matter of minutes over the stove with little drama.

I've double roasted over the stove several times in the past and I found the process was much less forgiving--it was easy to overshoot the desired roast level. First crack onset came much quicker, and the time between 1C and 2C is was shortened. I usually roast solely by sound and smell but given this fact, I had to behave more like a PID--watching the temp gauge closely. If I was using a pot with significantly more mass than my "jiffy roaster", adjustments need to be made preemptively to avoid overshooting, as it has much less temperature "inertia" (think manning a yacht vs skiff). Likewise with bean mass. Fortunately I need neither as my pot only weighs 3.2oz, and I only roast 4oz at a time.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

day

#23: Post by day replying to weebit_nutty »

I def. failed then :( I did get to the point where I am able to create very even roasts of about 200-250 grams, but it is far more challenging with blends or, apparently, on a second round. Interestingly I just did not have that reduced time between 1c-2c which was very surprising to me.

I have been doing various experimentations for a while, but I think I am going to start trying out the temp setting of my induction top. I have been focusing on wattage draw and varying the heat being applied via wattage input, but am going to try some roasts just focusing on keeping the pot within a certain temperature range, and gradually reduce the distance between the pot temp and bean temp until I near the end of the roasts. or some variation of that, not sure how the hot air input is going to affect that, hopefully I could actually keep the bottom of the pan cooler than the beans and maybe prevent the possibility of scorching. The more I think about it the more I think that is the best way to go, particularly with the quick response time of induction and that it already is an inefficient PID. I just wish I could wire it to respond to a thermocouple attached directly to the pot, as opposed to having to sense the temp through the glass top.

After I get that, I will revisit the dual roast experiment and see if I can achieve something more. If you know of a smaller lighter pot that would work well and is magnetic let me know and I will try to acquire one as well to play with!
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone