Roaster concept, 3D model

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sversimo

#1: Post by sversimo »

hi!

I have been working on a new design of a 1 kg electrical roaster, as of right now I will not work further with this concept as I have come up with a different concept (still a coffee roaster, of course). Anyways, I thought I would simply share some of the ideas ;)

A friend did the rendering for me.

It would be a sweet project, but the production cost of the machine would give it a price tag in the upper $3k

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Sverre:

That looks very refined. What would its capabilities be? The price does not seem out of line.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

sversimo (original poster)

#3: Post by sversimo (original poster) »

The inside of this roaster is what's makes it stand apart from what's on the market today. Its electrical, but the temperature response of the machine is similar to what you can expect in a professional gas roaster.

Its design as a 1 kg roaster, with a true capacity of 1 kg green beans. Preheating would take 6 minutes. Fastest roast time for 1 kg would be 6-7 minutes to 1C, plenty of power in other words.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I see two PIDs. What are you thinking about control for drum motor, airspeed, etc.?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

kwantfm

#5: Post by kwantfm »

Looks like a winner...

Power and responsiveness with electricity? Sounds like you have innovated a lot... also sounds like your next idea is pretty special if it can top the one pictured. You'll have to satisfy our curiosity soon!!

Do you think that this would have roasted 100 g samples well?
LMWDP #602

#6: Post by sversimo (original poster) »

The motor would not be adjustable, it would be On/Off. The best suited RPM would be found on the first prototype.

Airspeed, or volumetric airflow rate, would be controlled with a damper. I have not found a cheap and effective way of measuring airflow, please tell me if someone has a good idea!! :)

The biggest problem with a small batch, 100g, is the measuring of BT (bean temperature). There is not enough beans in one place to get a correct reading, as you can see in the picture below, 150g test.

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JavaMD »

Nice ... Hope your project pans out. The more good options the better. A Norwegian roaster would be sweet!

Steve

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

You'd probably want your electronics outboard for heat protection issues. I haven't seen any large roasters like that put electronics so close to the drum. But otherwise, they are nice renderings.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

summer

#9: Post by summer »

Nice Sverre, the project is looking good and I'm happy for you!
But an electric 500 g model would have suited me better though... :wink:

#10: Post by sversimo (original poster) »

Thank you Summer.

Jawa D, a Norwegian roaster would be sweet! ;)

TomC, i like how you always give constructive feedback! Keep it coming. The issue your bring up is an important one, and been given a lot of thought. however, the design should keep the electronics safe from heat.