A Fast Finish Roast Profile

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
endlesscycles

#1: Post by endlesscycles »

Anyways. Try it or not. I'm personally surprised by the results.
Airflow all the way up. Batch size large enough to exercise control, but small enough to maximize airflow. Maybe half rated capacity?

2min to 200F
30F/min steady from there on until the crack (~8min)
hands off controls, dump 1:00min after the crack (~9min)

Enjoy.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

germantown rob

#2: Post by germantown rob »

Ok, will give it a go. Have not tried anything like this.

Any hints to what bean you used?

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Sounds like a very exaggerated Diedrich style, slow start, fast finish profile.
Jim Schulman

pShoe

#4: Post by pShoe »

1:00 after start of crack, or end of crack?

What were the results?

endlesscycles (original poster)

#5: Post by endlesscycles (original poster) »

My convention is to start the clock at 392F. There might be the errant crack or two in the 380's, but I ignore them. Likewise, the cracking isn't full bore until ~400.

So I mean 1min past 392F.

I've used this profile on three coffees so far. A grade 1 Sidama, Ecuador Taza Dorada #1, and Kigeyo from Rutsiro Rwanda. Results are similar across the board, and favorable. I'd like to hear others speak to their experiences first before speaking of my own.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

germantown rob

#6: Post by germantown rob »

Okally Dokally, I have two of the three and will give a go. With my IR burner I will have to lay on the gas and not let up until the the "bitter" end.

boar_d_laze

#7: Post by boar_d_laze »

Very good results with Finca Cañada Fria a Mexico COE contestant I got from The Coffee Project (excellent retailer, btw). There wasn't a lot of choice about getting all Diedrich on it since there's almost no separation between 1stCe and 2dCs. What are you going to do? You've got to get development somewhen.

Finish: FC
Taste: Piloncillo and pecans.
Plot:

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Advertisement
jonny

#8: Post by jonny »

This is similar to the roasting style of Heart here in Portland. I often get the chance to watch them roast when I visit. Their drip roasts dump right around when first crack really gets going, about a minute in. Espresso profiles are about city+, dumped about 2 minutes after first pops.

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

I was under the impression that Heart was on the bleeding edge of lightest roasting possible, more so than even places like Ritual in SF.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

MSH

#10: Post by MSH »

TomC wrote:I was under the impression that Heart was on the bleeding edge of lightest roasting possible, mores than even places like Ritual in SF.
I have purchased their coffee a fair number of times over the past 1.5 years and I would say that, in general, they roast lighter than anyone I have purchased from in recent memory.