Roast and Learn Together - September 2014 - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
osanco

#31: Post by osanco »

tburres wrote: How much should I be worrying about TP time? I preheated the drum to 375F, lowered the gas and let the temp get closer to my desired charge temp of 300F then turned fan to 100% and gas off, charged at 300f and didn't adjust gas or fan until I hit TP, all to try and stretch TP beyond a minute which is what I was getting on my previous roasts. Is that a reasonable approach and is it a milestone I should focus on that much?
Just a suggestion: your TJ-067 has enormously powerful fans for its size. I'd suggest dropping at 300-325F with the gas and fan off entirely until your turn or at least the first 90 seconds. After the turn, I'd run the fan at minimum speed (about 30%) and the gas at 2-2.5 kpa. (or less depending on the batch size)

On a 250 gram charge, you can also drop lower (250F) with the fan off and the gas between .5-1kpa until the turn.

This is how I'm roasting now. Lower drop, no fan, minimal heat, fan on and gas turned up at the turn.

I like the idea of the fan off to retain some moisture in the drum during the initial warming period.

This should get you to the end of the drying phase at between 4-5 minutes. Probably first crack at 9-10 minutes. You can either turn the gas down or the air up to 50% or both after first crack to produce a single digit ROR sufficient to finish the roast 3-3:30 between 1st and 2nd crack.

Just an idea.

Your FC temp of 375F (I call FC after the 7th pop) seems right to me for this bean. If it's bouncing around, maybe try adjusting the drum speed to where you feel like the bean mass is best cascading directly on the probe.

We go through enough coffee that I very seldom roast anything but full 1kg (and above) charges, but Dregs mentioned that once and it stuck in my head as a pretty good idea.

S.

bean2friends

#32: Post by bean2friends »

New tasting notes for me today. A well balanced cup. More here Roast and Learn Together - September 2014

[creative nickname]

#33: Post by [creative nickname] »

Dick, it's awesome that you've found a profile you really enjoy! After some more efforts with this bean, this approach is my favorite for brewing. (The profile I posted above is still my favorite for pulling shots.) This was on my old Coretto-style roaster; I'll have to experiment to see if I can mimic it on my new drum roaster.

---

Roasting Info:

Bean: Lintong Aek Nauli
Roaster: HG/BM
Charge Mass:200g
Charge Temp: 325F
Dry/Ramp/Development: 5:15/4/3
FC-start temp: 395F
Finish Temp: 411F
Overall Roast Time: 12:21
Moisture Loss: 16%

Profile Plot:

Cupping Notes:

Rest: 7 days
Brewer: v60-2
Grinder: Lido2, 1+4
Water: 500mL, 202F
Coffee: 30g

Dry Fragrance: Cedar, Sandalwood, Raspberry, Cloves

Wet Aroma: Dutch cocoa, vanilla bean, caramel sweetness, slight tobacco

Warm taste: Rich tropical fruit, centered around pineapple! Floral notes reminded me of hibiscus/jasmine. Very sweet & juicy, with a creamy, vanilla middle and some dark chocolate ganache in the finish. The body was somewhere between moderate and heavy, coating and rich. Faint spices added complexity -- with David's prompting, I noted white pepper, as well as some cinnamon. (Still haven't tasted or smelled any green pepper though!) Wonderful balance overall.

Cool cup: Brighter, with pineapple and guava dominating a very sweet, creamy cup.

Overall Impression: I tasted this roast at 3 and 4 days, and thought it was a failure. There was a harsh edge to the acidity, and a bitterness in the finish, that smothered the more pleasant flavors in the cup. At 7 days the harshness has mellowed and all sorts of wonderful things appeared. This is a very different kind of Sumatran cup, with tropical acidity, spice, and a satisfying body, all in great harmony.

The only thing I am afraid of now is that I won't be able to replicate this profile in a drum. I'm still struggling to get slow but steady development, rather than flattening things out and baking the coffee, or rushing too quickly towards SC.
LMWDP #435

bean2friends

#34: Post by bean2friends »

Thanks Mark and thanks again for helping me with that Roastmaster app. I think I'm finally getting some control over my roasts. Although, you intimidate and inspire me with all you find in a coffee. One of the things I just realized (it is roast and learn after all) was that it would be helpful to me to show my own Dry/Ramp/Development times. So, my first roast was 6:00/3:30/3:30. Today I had what might be more interesting a 5:15/3:45/2:30. I'll post more of the details later. I did have a fun day of roasting, including a nice roast of that Haraaz Traceable from BoldJava. It smelled like honey in the cooling tray.

[creative nickname]

#35: Post by [creative nickname] »

Yeah, posting more info is always better; it helps others, whether they are trying to give you pointers or mimic what you achieved. My advice on your more recent, faster roast is to not write it off, even if an early tasting proves problematic. Resting my lighter roast for a week was unusually transformative with this coffee.

As of tomorrow the month is halfway done, and I've only heard from one person who is interested in swapping roast samples. I just thought I'd remind people that this was a possibility, as I've heard more than a few requests for it in the past. FYI, I'll probably plan on organizing the swap so as to involve whoever I hear from by the end of this coming week.
LMWDP #435

bean2friends

#36: Post by bean2friends »

My roast from yesterday:

Bean: Lintong Aek Nauli
Roaster: Huky 500 perforated drum
Charge: 1 pound
Charge temp: 518f
Dry/ramp/development: 5:15/3:45/2:30
1cs: 9:02/392f
Finish: 11:30/410f
Moisture loss 14.5%
I'll wait a few days and taste. I had a surprise on first roast today though - details here. Roast and Learn Together - September 2014

So, first roast was 428f finished and was very good with 7 days rest. I brewed this today in Kalita Wave, 200f water 25 grams coffee, 400 grams water. A nice sweet coffee - dry grounds nutty and sweet - that carried over to the brew - sweet, pleasant, a little fruity and chocolate. I think this degree of roast is better than the darker. That's a surprise for me with Sumatra.

caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#37: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I roasted two ten ounce batches of this coffee on the Behmor at P3C, stopping it at I would guess full city +. It is great as espresso, with the fruit and chocolate notes like everyone has noted, and my husband said it was really good in the clever coffee dripper too. Another thing I liked about it is that it made nice neat shots, hardly any spritzers, nice tiger striping.
I'm glad I got some from Eric, since when I went to order coffee from Sweet Marias, it was sold out.

dynamiteid

#38: Post by dynamiteid »

OK, this is my first month of participating in the R&L. I will start with an introduction of my set-up and roast, and then follow-up with my cupping notes.

My Setup: I have been home roasting for the last 3 years. I started with a hot-air popper and quickly upgraded to a Genecafe. The Genecafe seems to be an oddball choice amongst the home-roasting community, but I have been pretty happy with the results I am able to get. I tied for first in the Espresso portion of this year's roasting competition. (oh, and took last in the brewed portion of the competition, but I don't want to get into that... :>) The best part about this roaster is the very clear view of the beans as they roast. The major downside is that I have not found a good way to instrument up thermocouples to monitor the actual ET and BT, so true accurate profiling is not possible. I instead rely entirely on monitoring the bean color and aroma of the smoke to determine how the roast is progressing and adjust on the fly based on past cupping observations. I have to run many test batches with every new bean, and cup the results to determine what Genecafe "profile" delivers the cup results I am happy with. I am looking to upgrade to a better roaster soon. The USRC deal is very tempting. I emergency-stop the roaster when I want to end the roast and immediately dump into a perforated cooling tray that then sits on top of a small box fan to cool.

Sumatra R&L Slow Profile (1C-9:45, EOR -12:30): 226g of beans. I warm up the roaster at 482 degrees for 10 minutes to get the machine warmed up. I then emergency stop the machine and drop the beans in and immediately start the normal roast. I roast at 440degrees for 5 minutes, then crank up to 482 degrees until 1st crack, then down to 460 degrees until the EOR.

Sumatra R&L Faster Profile (1C-8:45, EOR11:30): 226g of beans. I warm up the roaster at 482 degrees for 10 minutes to get the machine warmed up. I then emergency stop the machine and drop the beans in and immediately start the normal roast. I roast at 482 degrees until 1st crack, then down to 460 degrees until the EOR.

Cup Results (5 days post roast): I prepared both samples using a Kalita Wave pour-over. 24g of coffee to 400g water @204 degrees. The Fast roast profile had a much fruitier aroma in the dry grounds, but produced a much flatter cup. The faster profile had a much more pronounced acidity, but overall seemed flat. The slower profile roast actually had a burnt aroma in the dry grounds, but produced a much sweeter cup and had an amazing finish. I had 4 people taste the samples, and all 4 preferred the slower roast profile. Everyone commented on the better finish. The slower roast profile cup became even better as it cooled. One thing I was really suprised at was the lack of funk in this coffee. I expected a much more pronounced earthy flavor, but it really wasn't there for me.

I am going to try a few more roast variations this week.

Dave

Goldensncoffee

#39: Post by Goldensncoffee »

I've been letting these beans rest for about a week since my initial cupping. I was not a big fan after making in the chemex. 35g/567g water. (It was probably my taste buds messed up that day for whatever reason) I made a pot this am and I'm really impressed. I'm definitely getting some of these fruit flavors you all are experiencing. It's also sweet with a good amount of chocolate notes. Tonight I'm going to do some roasting and will try another batch of these beans with a lighter roast.

tburres

#40: Post by tburres »

Played around with osanco's advice for low/no fan speed and lower temps at the charge with another bean last night and still got a very fast turnaround, will experiment with a slower drum speed next go around to see if that helps get more of the beans on the BT probe. Having fun!

I added tasting notes to previous posts, but I am more listening in to the group at this point -

My tasting notes:
9/10 roast to C+: 10 oz capp on 9/16 was very enjoyable, rich chocolates, nice finish, not getting tropical fruits. The smell of the ground beans is interesting and I can see where the "pepper" references are coming from. I can't quite identify exactly what I am smelling but I like it. I have enjoyed this Sumatra more than the previous one, but haven't been able to analyze very closely yet due to busy schedule over the past week.

Did what I would call a pourover with my second roast - using a simple Melita Ready Set Joe and paper filter, 25g coffee ground fairly fine on my HG1, 400g water at 200F. I am getting some baking spice, cinnamon maybe and there is a faint fruit in the background, but I can't distinguish it clearly. Very enjoyable to me though.