Roast and Learn Together - March/April 2015 - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
NoStream

#71: Post by NoStream »

As my experiments with this bean come to a close, I'd just like to offer a brief final post. I wound up with a reasonably fast profile, with a hot charge, and plenty of heat early, declining throughout. Rao's rules held quite well. I was charging up at around 450-460 F BT and MET at first but have gradually scaled back a little to 430 as this coffee now shows a bit of aged character.

This roast had 12.13% weight loss. I'm trying out tastify, so I'll include my cupping results below as a product from it. 10:180, 204 F, 7.6 grind on my EK

I didn't note aged greens in my overall score and am not a frequent SCAA sheet user, so ignore the overall number given.

I also tried this as a V60-02 three days post. 12:204, 204 F. It was thoroughly tasty - delicate body, jasmine, lemongrass, lemonade, pristinely clean cane sugar, etc.

Espresso -

I pulled this from 30-50% brew ratios, ~8 bars, 200F at the grouphead, ultimately preferring it around 40% brew ratio (17 in, 42 out). Flavors included lots of sweet citrus, oolong tea, jasmine, buttercream, lemongrass, berry, and so on - very similar to the brewed coffee.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#72: Post by TomC (original poster) »

NoStream wrote:As my experiments with this bean come to a close, I'd just like to offer a brief final post. I wound up with a reasonably fast profile, with a hot charge, and plenty of heat early, declining throughout. Rao's rules held quite well. I was charging up at around 450-460 F BT and MET at first but have gradually scaled back a little to 430 as this coffee now shows a bit of aged character.
It's interesting, I basically did the same approach a few nights ago, with two different Ethiopian's I had saved in the chest freezer. I ran both the Gedeo Worka and the Grade 1 natural processed Yirg Kochore at profiles with very short roast times, with a much higher charge temp. The Gedeo Worka profile ended up being by far the best I ever had on that particular coffee. The Kochore was showing some age and although nice and floral, a bit tired (it didn't get vacuum sealed until it was several months old here). It was these two profiles that actually got me thinking about the "double" roast approach. I want to apply this sort of short profile to beans that are as evenly dry as possible.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

NoStream

#73: Post by NoStream replying to TomC »

I can't imagine you'd have good results with a fast approach to a natural. Those sugars on the bean surface are just begging to scorch.

I think that's really interesting regarding the double-roast. I'll definitely try it next I roast - probably on this coffee, even, since I think I have enough of it for two more batches. I've had really good results with slow-start, fast-finish profiles for bringing out incredible sweetness and near-zero roast character, but they simply aren't soluble. So perhaps your approach can yield the solubility of a fast-start profile with the absolute cleanliness of a slow-start one? That would be great.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#74: Post by TomC (original poster) »

NoStream wrote:I can't imagine you'd have good results with a fast approach to a natural. Those sugars on the bean surface are just begging to scorch.
But that's exactly what I found. I think it's unique to the Quest, since there's barely any thermal mass to the roaster, the heat caves in when you charge anyway. I haven't found any detrimental effect yet. The coffee was far better the first two days than today's brew, I will say that much for sure. Could have been a blip on today's brew method, I'm not sure.
NoStream wrote:I think that's really interesting regarding the double-roast. I'll definitely try it next I roast - probably on this coffee, even, since I think I have enough of it for two more batches. I've had really good results with slow-start, fast-finish profiles for bringing out incredible sweetness and near-zero roast character, but they simply aren't soluble. So perhaps your approach can yield the solubility of a fast-start profile with the absolute cleanliness of a slow-start one? That would be great.
I'm going to keep plugging away with short, hot profiles with limited post 1Cs roast time for a while. The double roast idea should theoretically help me start with evenly dry coffee that I can blast pretty hard and fast and save as much varietal character and sweetness as possible. I'll be excited to see your results too!

endlesscycles

#75: Post by endlesscycles »

TomC wrote:I'm going to keep plugging away with short, hot profiles with limited post 1Cs roast time for a while. The double roast idea should theoretically help me start with evenly dry coffee that I can blast pretty hard and fast and save as much varietal character and sweetness as possible. I'll be excited to see your results too!
Conductive moisture allows high heat input. Evaporative cooling protects the outer surface. Dy insulative cellulose will not transfer heat and will scorch / bake.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#76: Post by TomC (original poster) »

endlesscycles wrote:Conductive moisture allows high heat input.....

You should probably try to describe what you mean with real terms. Conductive moisture isn't a real or scientific term. But I understand the rest of your comment and I'm not sure if I agree. Like it's been covered elsewhere (Illy), even fully roasted coffee contains moisture, so it's not like the beans are completely dry, just hopefully more evenly "dry".

[creative nickname]

#77: Post by [creative nickname] »

I also tried the hot charge, fast roast approach with the Gedeo Worka DP, and got fantastic results, with no apparent scorching. When I get a chance I'll post the details in the January R&L thread.
LMWDP #435

endlesscycles

#78: Post by endlesscycles »

TomC wrote:You should probably try to describe what you mean with real terms. Conductive moisture isn't a real or scientific term.
Those are real terms. Moisture is a conductor of heat... hence it's use in heating and cooling systems. Cellulose is often used as insulation. I don't understand "drying evenly" or what that means, or how it's done or what is supposed to come from it being done.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#79: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to endlesscycles »

Anything that has mass can conduct heat, outside of a vacuum. Heat being the relative term, not moisture. Does moisture leave the bean due to the heat applied? Yes. That's making the statement correctly. Semantics for the most part.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#80: Post by cannonfodder »

Have never roasted in a vacuum. The wife would probably yell at me for messing up her vacuum but chaff collection would not be an issue.
Dave Stephens