Roast and Learn Together - March 2014

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Rich (boar d laze) will be heading up our March R&LT discussion. He'll make his announcement of the bean choice here shortly.

My March is still looking quite busy, but not as insane as February, since the flu season has finally died down and I'm not pulling 65 hour work weeks along with going to class. I hope to be able to follow along and participate in this month a lot more.

I'm really excited to see his bean choice. He puts the footwork down that some of us over look, and from some of what he's told Dave, Ed and I, the beans will no doubt be incredible.

I'm probably not going to lead a R&LT till May or June. But stay tuned and happy roasting to everyone.

I'd really, really like to see this month and subsequent months to be carried out in degrees Fahrenheit!!!!!! Please humor me with your flexibility and understanding, and set your Artisan or datalogger of choice to read out in degrees Fahrenheit. It's a huge pain in the butt to try and read two separate "languages" on folks profiles.

Please follow along with the same rules and guidelines for how to start your main reply with your profile, type of roaster and charge weight as before.

Keeping your updates as you cup one particular profile in the same reply helps with consistency and clarity.

Otherwise, the reins are in Rich's hands. Take it away Rich.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Thanks Tom.

Just as there are a lot of very good beans, there are a lot very good bean suppliers. As part of our Learning, I thought you guys might enjoy getting acquainted with the especially good Bodhi Leaf.

Steve Simms (He Who is Bodhi Leaf) and I discussed a bunch of different beans with the object of finding a couple of selections which would be simple enough for newer folks using inexpensive equipment; but provide enough challenges for the high-experience, high-end crowd as well. I also discussed the selections and their criteria with Boldjava, farmroast and TomC.

I'm posting both selections now, so you can save on shipping at least. And while you're at Bodhi's website, don't forget to browse their other selections. There's quite a lot there in every price range above the suspiciously cheap and below the absurdly expensive. Everything I've every bought from them in the past has been quite good.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen... Fresh from their Continental Tour where they appeared before many crowned heads, and brought to you at great expense by the management... And without further ado... I give you...

March:
El Salvador Bourbon Natural BN23 ($6.15 per lb); and

April:
Ethiopia Danch Meng ($6.49 per lb)

While these beans are slightly more expensive compared to what many of us roast most often, they are both in the 90+ category, and should be as rewarding in the cup as they will be as an educational experience.

I haven't roasted either bean yet myself and won't take delivery of my own order until tomorrow. But because so much of what I roast is in the same class as BN23, I expect to be able to post a "model profile" along with the usual data by next Tuesday at the latest. I'm going to have to start profiling the Ethiopian more or less from scratch, and would like to take the time to do it right.

Think about saving some greens from each choice, so we can add a Blend and Learn subsection in mid April and (assuming the Danch Meng) is suitable, add a chocolatey, full-bodied, generic "base" (like a Brazilian or Sumatran), and use the technique of "wet cupping" to get the proportions right.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

UseIt4Toddy

#3: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

I was going to sit this round out due to a crazy schedule for the month, and then Rich goes ahead and selects a natural processed Central. Many thanks for some more great curating. I foresee some late night roasting in my near future... Order placed. Cheers,

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

"ETHIOPIA DANCH MENG
This coffee is a joint offering from Bodhi Leaf Trading Co and Levelup Coffee who specialize in creating repeatable tailor-made Taste Profiles.

Flavor Notes: Cocoa, black raspberry, plum, juicy, floral."

Black raspberry...Katie bar the door.
-----
LMWDP #339

pShoe

#5: Post by pShoe »

I'd like to start ordering the roasted coffee along with the greens for future R&LT. I don't think I can ordered roasted from Bodhi Leaf, but wanted to make sure before completing my order. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze »

pShoe wrote:I'd like to start ordering the roasted coffee along with the greens for future R&LT. I don't think I can ordered roasted from Bodhi Leaf, but wanted to make sure before completing my order. Anyone know for sure?
Bodhi Leaf does limited roasting. I don't know which beans, minimum order size or any other essential information, other than their most informative phone number: 714 350-6156.

Rich

boar_d_laze

#7: Post by boar_d_laze »

I spent almost an hour today at Bodhi Leaf's warehouse/roastery and much of that time was with their roaster/"QC" guy, Brando Theis.

Regarding BN23, Brando suggested one profile for brew and another, slightly different, for espresso.

Brew:
  • Fairly fast Drying. About 5min from Charge to 300F;
  • Medium Ramp;
  • At 1stCs, slow the roast down;
  • Go slowly into 1stCe; then
  • Drop at "middle C," 405F.
Espresso:
  • No hurry Ramp, slow into 1st;
  • Good pace through 1stCe and into C+; then
  • Drop at 415F.
Rich

Advertisement
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC (original poster) »

boar_d_laze wrote:I spent almost an hour today at Bodhi Leaf's warehouse/roastery and much of that time was with their roaster/"QC" guy, Brando Theis.

Regarding BN23, Brando suggested one profile for brew and another, slightly different, for espresso.

Brew:
  • Medium Ramp;
  • At 1stCs, slow the roast down and go slowly into C;
  • Drop at 405F.
Espesso:
  • No hurry Ramp, slow into 1st;
  • Good pace through 1st into C+;
  • Drop at 415F.
Rich

This is awesome. And uncommon.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

It's raining here, and despite the fact that I'm really behind on my regular roasting, and am very excited getting started on the BN23, I'm not sure whether or not roasting is in today's cards. The thought of wearing actual pants and shoes on my own patio is cringe-making.

At least I found enough ambition to pick up the phone and fill in Brando's recommendations for time from Charge to 1stCs for the brew and espresso profiles.

Brando says, 10min for brew, and 11min for espresso. For the arithmetically challenged, that means a 5min Ramp from his 300F EOD for brew, and a 6min Ramp for espresso.

So, there's plenty of development in Brando's profiles; just not as high a proportion of taking place in the interval beginning with 1stCs which Artisan labels as "Development."

Brando -- while far from Nordic -- prefers a lighter finish than I and other "mediums" do. He also goes slightly faster through Drying, a great deal slower through Ramp, with a longer total roast time than many popular roast masters; Boot, Owen and Perry to name three.

I stretch the Drying and Ramp intervals for beans which have a very short interval between 1stCe and 2dCs, in order to get a C+ finish and at least some development. You've got to take it where you can get it.

What difference Brando's bright-but-laidback approach will make compared to a more typically "medium" approach should be very interesting. I'll try both as soon as I've nailed the milestone temps.

It's also going to be interesting to see what the guys who are roasting fast and light can do with this bean.

Anyone interested in doing some exchanging?

Rich

Almico

#10: Post by Almico »

Is there a discount code for ordering?