Roast and Learn Together - March 2014 - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pShoe

#41: Post by pShoe »

Thanks. That is my normal fan setting too. I generally use about 6 heat during drying, I am guessing you're using a lower heat setting...? I'm was really trying to nail down a 5 min drying, but based on my roasts, using a 400 charge would be way faster than 5 mins. It could also be the black painted drum that is transferring heat more efficiently too.

I guess it's a little early, but I brewed up roast 2 and it was a bit meaty. Not what I am looking for. Anyone mind taking a closer look at my roast 2? Any insight on how I could avoid that? I'm guessing dropping the length of the second ramp and maybe adding a little more time in drying.

UseIt4Toddy

#42: Post by UseIt4Toddy replying to pShoe »

Yeah, for drying I'm usually using 5 - 5.5 amps, although I will sometimes go to 4.5 amps on 150g batches for naturals when the roaster is warmed up.

Interesting about the painted drum. I seasoned mine with flax seed oil, and I've been happy with the way it has performed since, although I'll likely add insulation like TomC did shortly.

Back on topic: Does bringing the METs down to the 400-range push out your drying time too far?

I had a lot more tartaric acid in the cup this morning with a nice sharp finish. Cheers,

pShoe

#43: Post by pShoe »

UseIt4Toddy wrote:Does bringing the METs down to the 400-range push out your drying time too far?
Sometimes, I think it it needed for lower batch sizes. But I was speaking of BT temp. I haven't used a sub 400 MET for 150g.

johnlyn

#44: Post by johnlyn »

I'm all ordered up and will start roasting when I get back from Utah!!

Almico

#45: Post by Almico »

I just posted this over on my New to Roasting thread, but since this was my first roast using my new rig and Artisan 7/Phidget 1048 and some BN23 beans, I thought I should post it here too.

8oz City+ roast.

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to label yet.

And my ET probe was wacky, but the BT worked well.

I'll try some tonight.

boar_d_laze

#46: Post by boar_d_laze »

Finally got enough rest on my first, full-sized espresso roast to be able to taste something beyond under-rested harshness. If you'll recall, I went much faster through Ramp than Brando's suggested 5min.
  • First impression: Moderately sweet with both high end acidity, and some low end comfort. The low notes not presaged by cupping or brew roasts and coming as a surprise.
  • Mouthfeel: Surprisingly creamy, given that it had practically none with cupping or any brew method. However, whatever weight it actually has may have been exaggerated by the use of a bottomless pf and an absurdly competent grinder.
  • Florals: Not really.
  • Fruit notes: Raspberry, cherry, lychee. The raspberry intensifies as the coffee cools.
  • Chocolate and nuts: Carob -- stronger in the middle and end of cup than in the aftertaste; not much in the way of nuts.
  • Clarity: Average.
  • Complexity: Good. Lots of things happening as you get deeper into the cup, and as it cools.
  • Aftertaste: Pleasant, but difficult to characterize. Given the very definite carob presence, you'd expect it to fade to chocolate, but instead it fades to "coffee."
  • "Espresso drink" suitability: Linda drank it as a "long black with cream and sugar," and it had more than sufficient punch to communicate its essential character.
  • Overall: Excellent, 88.5; but better as a brew than as espresso (with this profile).
Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Almico

#47: Post by Almico »

I just tried the BN23 that I roasted this afternoon. I ground it medium and Clever dripped it: 28g/250ml/200*/4min.

It's a pretty light roast, only going 30s after FCe, but I'm not getting any grass. Gamey would be the word I'd use. Forgive me, I'm not up on proper coffee etiquette jargon. I'm not sure "copper" is a common flavor note, but the memory I'm left with after this cup is just like a licked a copper pipe...maybe brass, my palate is not that refined :wink:

I'll try another cup in a couple of days.In the mean time I'll do another roast and go a bit deeper.

RobertL

#48: Post by RobertL »

RobertL wrote:I roasted my first batch of the El Salvador tonight. Both the green and roasted coffee had a nice slightly fruity aroma. I will give it a couple of days before tasting it.

Roaster: Hottop B2K with ET/BT probes
Charge Weight 210 grams
4:30 end of drying 300f
8:30 first crack starts 385f
11:30 end of roast 415f
13.8% weight loss
I had my first cup of this roast today, it turned out okay but I think it could benefit from a bit slower roast. I'm definitely picking up raspberry and white grape but the flavors have a sharpness to them that I don't like. Hopefully a slower roast will help round things out.

Almico

#49: Post by Almico »

Almico wrote:I just posted this over on my New to Roasting thread, but since this was my first roast using my new rig and Artisan 7/Phidget 1048 and some BN23 beans, I thought I should post it here too.

8oz City+ roast.

<image>
Tried the BN23 this morning, same brewing. 80% better. Whatever that sharp copper flavor was, it has broadened and spread into a very nice nutty chocolate. I'm not good at fruit, but there is more going on. I like it. In 2-3 days it should be ready.

This is my first time doing this so the plan is to try and learn the whole spectrum. That's what I roasted it light and will wait for a few days before I roast another batch a little further along. I want to see what happens in the cup during as many scenarios as possible.

After that I'll try my, now very controllable, roaster to attempt to duplicate what the experts say is the best profile.

[creative nickname]

#50: Post by [creative nickname] »

I roasted about 100g of this for espresso in my popper. I used 75% power to move briskly through drying, turning it up only slightly at 300F to 81%, with the goal of slowing the Maillard phase, and then turning it up to 90% starting at FC, shooting for a quick run up to 415F.

Like Rich, I found my espresso roast very harsh until it had about six days of rest. Once rested, I thought the shots were tasty, especially when pulled on my Caravel, which strikes a nice balance between getting clarity and body out of coffee. Best results came with a coarser grind and a lot of updosing, at a fairly high (approx. 203-204F) brew temperature. I got strong notes of peach/raspberry, cream, and smooth chocolate notes, with light-to-moderate body.

Now I'm ready to roast some larger batches, but I'm torn over whether I want to focus on brew or espresso.
LMWDP #435