Roast and Learn Together - March 2014 - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pShoe

#31: Post by pShoe »

Here are my first attempts at this month's coffee, which have not been tasted yet. I order this coffee roasted from Bodhi Leaf too, which I've been really enjoying.

Roaster: Quest M3 with black painted drum and EricS probe placement.
Batch Size: 151g

Roast 1

First Brew Roast Attempt: Stalled out the development, and I wasn't able to correct it. I'm not expecting much, but here's hoping. 5:35 - 4:50 - 2:14 dropped at 400F with a 12.6% weight loss.

Roast 2

Second Brew Roast Attempt: More or less happy with how this roast turned out. Ran about 30 secs faster than I would have liked in the first 2 ramps. 4:30 - 5:00 - 2:20 dropped at 405F with a 13.4% weight loss.

Roast 3

First Espresso Roast Attempt: 4:45 - 6:00 - 2:15 dropped at 415F with a 13.9% weight loss.

Here is a picture of Bodhi Leaf's roast in case anyone is interested.

Advertisement
RobertL

#32: Post by RobertL »

I roasted my first batch of the El Salvador tonight. Both the green and roasted coffee had a nice slightly fruity aroma. I will give it a couple of days before tasting it.

Roaster: Hottop B2K with ET/BT probes
Charge Weight 210 grams
4:30 end of drying 300f
8:30 first crack starts 385f
11:30 end of roast 415f
13.8% weight loss

Almico

#33: Post by Almico »

I'm so jealous. I planned on getting my new Phidget and variac installed, do a little testing and then roasting all weekend.

But a nasty flu bug has me sidetracked. To tell you how bad it is, I haven't even made a cup of coffee this weekend.

draino

#34: Post by draino »

boar_d_laze wrote:I spent almost an hour today at Bodhi Leaf's warehouse/roastery and much of that time was with their roaster/"QC" guy, Brando Theis.

Regarding BN23, Brando suggested one profile for brew and another, slightly different, for espresso.

Brew:
  • Fairly fast Drying. About 5min from Charge to 300F;
  • Medium Ramp;
  • At 1stCs, slow the roast down;
  • Go slowly into 1stCe; then
  • Drop at "middle C," 405F.

Rich
So when I see Middle City at 405 F, Could first crack still be going on with this? On the Huky, FC starts around 390 F and ends around 410 F. Is 405 F for everyone getting them all the way through first crack (FC)?

Dave

Boldjava

#35: Post by Boldjava »

Bah, my chaff rubber bumper guard busted roasting on Saturday. I have two packs around the house. You think I can find them?

Ordered five this morning.
-----
LMWDP #339

boar_d_laze

#36: Post by boar_d_laze »

draino wrote:So when I see Middle City at 405 F, Could first crack still be going on with this? On the Huky, FC starts around 390 F and ends around 410 F. Is 405 F for everyone getting them all the way through first crack (FC)?
No.

Other people's temps are only a guide. Yours seem to be offset by 5F compared to Brando's. After FC, C is the easiest of the "city" finishes to pinpoint, as it begins at end of 1st and only runs a few seconds after that. Basically, when you're really, really sure that 1stC is over, you're already past C and into C+. So, maybe "easy to pinpoint" should include, "after you've roasted the coffee a time or two."

My roaster temps are off 1F or 2F from Brando's. So, based on cupping and his advice, I dropped at 407F. And, after full size brews with three different methods, the profile as posted is good enough that I have no plans to tweak it further.

That said, I'm very eager to hear your results.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

boar_d_laze

#37: Post by boar_d_laze »

Tried the espresso roast this morning. Not enough rest. HARSH. I thought there might be some raspberry in the background, but mostly I tasted a mix of recrimination and regret.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Advertisement
UseIt4Toddy

#38: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Best Profile (thus far)

Did just a quick cupping roast of this and then ran the below as a first brewing roast. I've been happy with the results, but plan to slow down a bit more for a longer development next go round.

Roaster: Quest M3
Batch Size: 150g
Charge Temp: 400F
Drying End: 5:00, 305F
1stCs: 9:30 min, 386F
1stCe: ~10:45 min, 400F
Drop: 12:15 min, 410F
13.3% Weight Loss

Tasting notes: Beautiful berry aroma, with cherry, and an herbaceous quality. Flavor is cleaner than I anticipated, and I get more bright cherry with a little citrus in the finish. Cupping roast had complex berry and citrus more reminiscent of a Konga, which I rather enjoyed. In addition to a longer development time for the next roast, I'll likely shoot for a lower drop temp as well.

Another great find, thanks.

pShoe

#39: Post by pShoe »

Alex, what is your temperature monitoring setup, and what heat fan level do you use through drying?

UseIt4Toddy

#40: Post by UseIt4Toddy replying to pShoe »

I use the EricS adapters in original BT placement and the standard MET bean chute bolt. Using an Amprobe to log.

For drying, I usually set the fan to 3.5, which on my machine is the very lowest setting.

Cheers,