Roast and Learn Together - March 2014 - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

#21: Post by Almico »

I have to try another roast profile on the Danch Meng. I'm getting flavor notes of firebox and chalk. :?

pShoe

#22: Post by pShoe replying to Almico »

One month at a time. :wink:

Try a more gentle profile with lower heat overall.

Advertisement
Boldjava

#23: Post by Boldjava »

Coffee was on the porch yesterday. Will roast this weekend and cup Wed/Thurs before we hit the road to SFO for a brief visit.
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#24: Post by [creative nickname] »

I roasted up a batch based on Brando's suggestions for an espresso profile this morning. Really awesome aromas were coming out with the extra development. I can't wait to see how they taste once they've had a bit of rest!
LMWDP #435

Almico

#25: Post by Almico »

pShoe wrote:One month at a time. :wink:

Try a more gentle profile with lower heat overall.
Yep... :)

I'm used to roasting 1# at a time. This time I only roasted 100g using the same settings so the roast went quickly. I'll tone things down tonight and try again.

#26: Post by 124816 »

Hi Rich,

Pardon the newbie question: I notice your espresso roast hit FC in 9 minutes, and you said your roast was inline with Bodhi's advice -- but in your earlier post you said he suggests FC at 11 minutes. Did I misinterpret the instructions?

Here is my first roast of the BN23. I was aiming for a brew roast, but I had a hard time getting the ∆BT needed during the ramp, so I tried switching to the espresso profile midway. I'm still getting the hang of the Huky, and I'm having a hard time obtaining the speed I want without pushing the MET way up. (Though maybe I shouldn't be concerned with that?

After dropping I compared my profile to yours. I hit dry and FC about 20F later than you, which makes me question my temperature readings -- I'll need to look into calibrating my thermocouples. Tasted this morning as espresso it was much too sour (though rest time is short), but worked well as pour over this afternoon.

boar_d_laze

#27: Post by boar_d_laze »

I'm getting very definite, a-blind-man-could-spot-it, peach from the BN23. Got it sample cupping, got it from the Royal (balance beam siphon) and am getting it from the Espro as I type. Anyone else?

What do you think of the body? The first time I brewed it, I used the Royal, left the room to deal with my dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking cats and didn't observe the process. The body was so light it made me wonder if somehow the coffee was dilute. But no.

I like the coffee quite a bit, but am not sure whether it's because or in spite of the absence of weight. Your thoughts?

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Advertisement
boar_d_laze

#28: Post by boar_d_laze »

124816 wrote:Pardon the newbie question: I notice your espresso roast hit FC in 9 minutes, and you said your roast was inline with Bodhi's advice -- but in your earlier post you said he suggests FC at 11 minutes. Did I misinterpret the instructions?
Busted.

No you didn't misinterpret. I was flying by bad memory. Next roast -- today or early tomorrow morning -- I'll try and follow instructions.

Thanks for keeping me honest.
I was aiming for a brew roast, but I had a hard time getting the ∆BT needed during the ramp, so I tried switching to the espresso profile midway. I'm still getting the hang of the Huky, and I'm having a hard time obtaining the speed I want without pushing the MET way up. (Though maybe I shouldn't be concerned with that?
Right. Don't worry about MET as long as you can keep your BT on track.
After dropping I compared my profile to yours. I hit dry and FC about 20F later than you, which makes me question my temperature readings -- I'll need to look into calibrating my thermocouples. Tasted this morning as espresso it was much too sour (though rest time is short), but worked well as pour over this afternoon.
My EOD (aka De per Artisan) is an arbitrary 300F. It's close enough to work for most profiling purposes rather than trying to identify the particular roast milestone by sight (wrinkles on yellow) or smell (bread + rum), which tend to come around 300F but aren't nearly as easy to consistently nail for a given bean as something as well defined as a crack.

300F is where I hit the heat and declare "Ramp," but there's no reason you should use the same metrics as me.

My feeling is that it's useful to have at least one milestone between Turn and 1stCs as a way of breaking that up into two separate intervals which can be profiled individually. But again -- that's not written in stone. A bunch of people do it that way (or something like it), but a bunch don't.

The important things are
1. Have a definite (preferably written) plan and to follow it as best you can; but
2. If you can't follow it, then try to understand why and create a new plan; and
3. If you can follow it but it doesn't work as well as it might, adapt it with a (wait for it) new plan.

If you're going to communicate with other roasters it's helpful if your temps are in basic agreement with theirs (and the rest of the world's). You can fool around with probe placement and/or use the offset functions of your data logger and/or software.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Boldjava

#29: Post by Boldjava »

boar_d_laze wrote:...
I like the coffee quite a bit, but am not sure whether it's because or in spite of the absence of weight. Your thoughts?

Rich
Roasting in the a.m. before church.
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#30: Post by [creative nickname] »

boar_d_laze wrote:I'm getting very definite, a-blind-man-could-spot-it, peach from the BN23. Got it sample cupping, got it from the Royal (balance beam siphon) and am getting it from the Espro as I type. Anyone else?
No peach for me; I got a similarly clear flavor of raspberry with a subtler background of white grapes. I took my first brew roast a bit darker than you did, so maybe that was the difference. Now I'm quite tempted to do another batch and to be rigorous about stopping it at 405.
boar_d_laze wrote:I like the coffee quite a bit, but am not sure whether it's because or in spite of the absence of weight. Your thoughts?
I think the light body made those clear fruit tones even clearer. I might try some immersion brews using a finer grind, to see if I can get more body out of it and if that improves things, but so far I've been a very happy camper.
LMWDP #435