Roast and Learn Together - June 2015

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Johnny (johnny4lsu) is going to be leading our June Roast and Learn Together discussion. The bean was to be announced today, then we got a hiccup we need to iron out, so stay tuned here for that announcement.

Please welcome Johnny to his first time leading the discussion. It was an interesting turn of fate, he and I have been discussing behind the scenes him hosting a month, and then days later it's announced that he's taking the leap into professional roasting!

Welcome Jonny!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC (original poster) »

The coffee for June will be an impressive Kenyan from Sweet Maria's. Link will be provided tomorrow when it goes live on their site.

A data point for future reference for all who participate in the RLT threads when Sweet Maria's is our vendor, they're suggesting folks who want to participate are encouraged to strike while the iron is hot, since many coffees sell out quite quickly (more so than their norm recently). This is what happened in this instance too. We had a good coffee set and ready to go with, but it disappeared in less than a week.

I make every effort to find a coffee that is approachable, available, highly traceable and non insanely priced. But the availability part can change in an instant without much notice.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

johnny4lsu

#4: Post by johnny4lsu »

Let me just start by saying what a blessing it is to be a part of this community. Many of us don't have the opportunity to do apprenticeships and/or have the opportunities to work with professional roasters.

I've learned so much from the discussion here and the wealth of information archived on this site. It's truly a goldmine for a beginner and the more advanced.

We were extremely excited about a particular coffee, but as Tom mentioned it sold out in a weeks time. :( :(

So, that opened the door for us to roast and learn something more in my wheelhouse. (my favorites are Africans.. Especially Ethiopians and Kenyans)

My hope is that we can continue to experiment and go against our roasting defaults. I still have a lot to learn and I look forward to the discussion in June!!!

nathandmckenzie

#5: Post by nathandmckenzie replying to johnny4lsu »

Hey johnny!! Looking forward to it! :)

kenneroast

#6: Post by kenneroast »

I'm also looking forward to this, and thank you for leading this round. The bean you guys selected sounds delicious. I have high hopes for it.
huky604.com

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu replying to kenneroast »

Thanks for participating.. Hopefully we all learn a lot. My plan is step outside of my roasting box and experiment quite a bit.

I enjoy your experiments and look forward to seeing some of them here for June.

compellingrich

#8: Post by compellingrich »

Curious what the coffee was. Betting it was the Colombian-grown Wush Wush, which sold out too quickly for me as well :/

johnny4lsu

#9: Post by johnny4lsu replying to compellingrich »

Actually, that would have been cool but that one was extremely limited from the start. The Colombia Timana-La Florida Vereda was the original green. I did order some before it sold out so at least I'll be able to try it.

chaffshaker

#10: Post by chaffshaker »

Order placed. I'm in and will be roasting for espresso.