Roast and Learn Together - July 2014 - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#41: Post by Boldjava »

I think blending different roast levels is almost as difficult as blending well.

I used a Yemen Matari (not the Yemen from SM) with a ratio of 67/33, city plus to full city plus. Even at that level, the roast profile of the FC+ took over the entire pot of finished pourover.

Back to the drawing board, though I am not enamored with blending or melanging.
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#42: Post by [creative nickname] »

Here's another profile I did, this time in the city+ territory:

Roasting Info:

Bean: Yemen Mokha Ismaili
Roaster: HG/BM
Charge Mass:200g
Charge Temp: 325F
Dry/Ramp/Development: 4:15/3:15/4
Finish Temp: 416F
Overall Roast Time: 11:30
Moisture Loss: 18%

The obligatory curve pic:

Cupping Notes:

Rest: 3 days
Brewer: V60-01
Water: 250g at 198F
Coffee: 15g, ground at 1.0 turns from 0 on the Lido2

Dry Fragrance: Spices, brandy, roasted cashews & pistachio.

Wet Aroma: Caramel, tobacco, roasted cashews, vanilla bean, faint grape.

Warm taste: Rich tobacco, pungent, hints of sweet lime. Full, coating mouthfeel, with a lingering chocolate & tobacco finish.

Cool cup: Faint lime and apple acidity, chocolates and tobacco. Finish evolves towards dyer, cocoa powder notes.

Overall Impression:

This is the best city+ profile I've executed with this coffee, and although I do not like it as much on its own as my city profile, the difference was only a few points.

---

I will be working with this and my prior roast for a while trying to find the best melange ratios. Currently I'm liking 75%C+/25%C for espresso preparations and 33%C+/67%C for brewing, but that may evolve over time. The melange definitely beats either roast on its own for espresso, but I'm not sure that I like any mix I've tried better than the city roast on its own. Time will tell.

For those who advocate darker espresso roasts, I will note that I tried a Full City roast for espresso, but liked it less than the C+ roast, which still brings plenty of interesting distillates to the table, without losing all its acidity. Part of this may be that with this coffee, in my roaster, I cannot execute a fast enough profile to finish a full city roast in under ten minutes, which usually gives me best results with other coffees. Or rather, I could go faster, but only by using higher ETs than seem advisable with a dry-processed bean.
LMWDP #435

jerbear00

#43: Post by jerbear00 »

That's interesting. I cupped some samples yesterday and I was significantly more impressed with the city roast than any of the more developed as you describe above.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#44: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'm going to be pretty excited to jump on this coffee more in the following days. I'm at day 6 of a 7 day, 13 hour shift-stretch. Needless to say, my days have been nothing other than eat, sleep and work. Having my software on my laptop suddenly decide it doesn't want to play with a 4th datalogging input and instead, crash, has put me in idle for two weeks as well. Finally back up and running, thanks only to the efforts and help of Jim Gallt.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

[creative nickname]

#45: Post by [creative nickname] »

I've been playing more with melanges of the two profiles I posted above, one a city+ (4:15/3:15/4, 416F finish temp) and the other a light city roast (5:30/4/1:30, 399F). I think I have hit upon a magic ratio with 80% city and 20% C+. In my tastings, blends involving much more C+ than that squashed too much of the interesting tropical fruits that this coffee has to offer. Conversely, that is just about the minimum necessary to impart some of the nicer dark tones that this coffee has to offer. I brewed up 250mL of this 80/20 melange in the v60 this morning, and it was just heavenly: a rich body like a good cabernet, lots of warm fruit up front, dark chocolate and tobacco undertones, and that subtle hint of Brie that one gets in the lighter roasts.

I plan on giving samples of this to some of my "customers" soon (meaning friends and family who get free coffee shipments from me), to see if they enjoy it as much as I do. I'm hoping they won't be put off by the funk, but you never know.
LMWDP #435

Boldjava

#46: Post by Boldjava »

[creative nickname] wrote:... to see if they enjoy it as much as I do. I'm hoping they won't be put off by the funk, but you never know.
My wife found too much fruit in this coffee. She enjoys Centrals. One cup and she was finished.
-----
LMWDP #339

bean2friends

#47: Post by bean2friends replying to Boldjava »

I love this coffee. I like it everyway I've had it. I did blend in some Guat. as Tom suggested - I did equal parts City+, Full City+ and a Guat I had in the freezer - a Guat Antigua, Hacienda Carmona Pulcal from Sweet Maria's, and that made a good espresso. Very fruity also. I even blended 20% Monsooned Malabar(from Peter at GCBC) to mute the fruit some and increase the crema - also very nice. All blends I did were post roast.
This has been my favorite Roast and Learn Coffee. Maybe it has something to do with my personal health being much improved since we started this.
Dick

Boldjava

#48: Post by Boldjava »

bean2friends wrote:...I even blended 20% Monsooned Malabar(from Peter at GCBC) to mute the fruit some and increase the crema - also very nice...
Dick
Which reminds me -- I grabbed some of his MM as well. Have some Batlle El Salv and Costa Rican samples to roast this weekend and will roast some MM while I am at it.
-----
LMWDP #339

jerbear00

#49: Post by jerbear00 »

1. TJ-067:

2. First roast was supposed to be a cupping roast. Still not pleased with my ET... Got thrown off my game when the overhead light bulb fell out and shattered in the garage but I pushed on in the name of science ;) went just into 2C pulling samples at start of 1C every 30sec.

3. I found the coffee lost most of the character and got rather dull in the late city to full city range... I liked the city as it had just the right amount of acidity, funky fruit, and nut for me.

1. TJ-067 : spent Sunday fixing my ET position.

2. Goal was to stop at city. This roast turned out a little light and patchy. I tried to maintain a ROR 15-20 to 1C and then I slowed her down as best I could until 1c slowed. Then I dropped. Still so much to learn.

3. Letting this rest but the pour overs have come out quite nice.

caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#50: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I roasted three eight ounce batches on Wed., I think it was, and tried to get one at fc+ and the other two at lighter levels. I used p1a on all three batches, one and a half minute pre-heat with the Behmor. I thought it was good as espresso, but I made a pound of it into cold brew, which I think is even better. My husband said it was good in the clever coffee dripper too. I think this coffee wins the most beans stuck in the drum award, despite giving it a good shake before I put it in the roaster.
Thanks for the comments on Monsooned Malabar, Sweet Marias has that too and I thought about getting some last time I got coffee, but wasn't sure what to do with it. I'll get some next time if they still have it.