Recommended Huky 500 Design Changes? - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cygnusx1

#41: Post by cygnusx1 »

Has anyone seen cyclone separators plumbed with PVC or ABS pipe? Also, anyone have any ideas on the request Jonny had about a tee section mounted on the huky chimney? That has to be metal of some sort but what size is it?

chris_n

#42: Post by chris_n »

sorry i missed that post.

the chimney opening junction is 2"

sversimo

#43: Post by sversimo »

The negative pressure created from the fan is more important than the airflow in a coffee roaster.
And you should also consider the temperature, my first centrifugal fan was CE approved for 60 Celsius and lasted 2 weeks.

cygnusx1

#44: Post by cygnusx1 replying to sversimo »

Good point on the temperature. On a quick review, most inline booster type fans range from 150F/65C to 250F/125C for max temp.

If that guy Trevin at Mr. Green Beans (who had that set-up with the cyclone posted earlier) is using the stock Huky fan on his cyclone then I guess there shouldn't be an issue with temperature on the fan. Unless the stock Huky fan has some out of the ordinary max temp rating.

What do you think the air temp would be say 3-4 feet off the Huky within the duct work? The metal duct work would account for some ambient heat loss much like a heatsink.

Jisgren

#45: Post by Jisgren »

You can also install a bigger fan than needed and set the duct up that it also pulls in cold air so the blower doesn't get too hot.

smite

#46: Post by smite »

I apologize, if this is obvious to others, but have any of these improvements been made to the Huky design yet, if so does anyone have feedback on how the improvements are working? If not does anyone know of the timeframe when some of these may end up making it into the actual design?

I am in the market for a roaster and would appreciate the most recent details. Also if you had to compare the Huky to 1-2 roasters competitively what would they be?

I have read through the 3 part thread, which had lots of very good information.

If this is too off topic I am glad to start another thread....

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#47: Post by drgary (original poster) »

smite wrote:... does anyone have feedback on how the improvements are working? If not does anyone know of the timeframe when some of these may end up making it into the actual design?

I am in the market for a roaster and would appreciate the most recent details.
My sentiments still. This roaster looks like it's getting ready for prime time. Reading through the thread and not seeing a more updated review yet, some things still concern me.

1. The trier may not be as functional as the one on the Quest M3. Owners of that machine are very satisfied and say it's very helpful to actually look at beans directly during the roast cycle.

2. I wonder about airflow characteristics for controlling the roast with fan improvements, but I don't want to be the one experimenting with that. It would be great to have that in the roaster's design.

3. I like the idea of attaching different kinds of fans and pipes to prevent stuck beans and chaff fire hazard, but I don't yet see this solved in the roaster's original design either.

For items 2 and 3 sometimes third parties come up with these solutions, but it seems that is still being developed as people other than the manufacturer try to solve it (i.e., the wood shop cyclone).

I checked prices today on a Mini 500. They're going up and up. I'm eager to see the Huky issues worked out because it's almost there. If I could get a big brother to the Quest M3 at an affordable price that would be great too, but I don't see something like that out there, including some of the eBay listed roasters from Taiwan where airflow is difficult to control.

Still getting ready to sell off some gear and using my Corretto roaster.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

slickrock

#48: Post by slickrock »

drgary wrote:My sentiments still. This roaster looks like it's getting ready for prime time. Reading through the thread and not seeing a more updated review yet, some things still concern me.

1. The trier may not be as functional as the one on the Quest M3. Owners of that machine are very satisfied and say it's very helpful to actually look at beans directly during the roast cycle.

2. I wonder about airflow characteristics for controlling the roast with fan improvements, but I don't want to be the one experimenting with that. It would be great to have that in the roaster's design.
While we are still waiting for Chris to report on Mr. Li's design improvements on his new and improved(?) Huky 500, I will say that the trier is very functional and arguably better the Quest since it has catch at least twice the size in comparison and with a longer stock handle. It's flaw is that beans can fall out of the receptacle under large loads, but this can be ameliorated by simply not pulling the trier all the way out (which is quite possible due the long length of the catch and also keeps the heat from escaping). You can still see the beans quite easily and dump them with a twist of the handle.

Regarding the fan and circulation improvements, the stock fan is really quite strong and has no problem driving strong circulation through drum (especially the solid version) and out through the existing (or extended) plumbing, but the design still allows you to roll your own if you prefer.
07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#49: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Thanks, Joel. You've been leading the way on this.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Kfir

#50: Post by Kfir »

I have been in contact with Mr. Lee about the new updates and he has been busy...

He now offers to existing owners as well the new updates which includes:

1. A small metal plate to fit inside the chimney to create a 45 degree slope so the beans won't stay inside.

2. New trier housing that is longer and prevents the beans from falling out while pulling the trier.

3. Exhaust pipe for fitting a cyclone chaff collector ( a 90 degree connection):

4. A longer "exhaust" pipe which finally allows placing the fan to the side of the roaster and allowing a full access to the front of the roaster so there is no need anymore to disconnect the pipe and sieve before dumping the beans (but you will need an additional fan and sieve for cooling):

Well as you imagine I already ordered all of this stuff (besides the 90 degree exhaust pipe which I don't need) and it cost me about 100$ including shipping charges.

The new and longer exhaust pipe will arrive to me in the next couple of weeks, in the meantime I took my roaster to a metal workshop to weld the chimney plate and the bean trier housing.

This is how the inside of the front part of the roaster originally looked like:

After welding the new parts:

I asked to weld the bean trier housing at 10 degree angle so it will reduce the chance of beans getting out:

These mods really transforms the Huky into another level, for those who are considering getting a new Huky you probably will be getting these for free which makes the deal even better.

I am really happy with mine, I have it for 1.5 years now and using it for the last couple of months with the 72 rpm motor and the perforated drum (also have the solid drum + 48 rpm motor) and I am getting very good results.

The "flex pipe exhaust mode" that Mr. Lee offers diverts the smoke outside the window and you don't have to roast under a the kitchen hood or outside:

I also have 3 K-type TC's installed (MET, BT, ET) and a fan speed controller which allows me a very fine control over the fan speed so I don't use the built-in air dumper at all.

The stock LPG stove works very well for even 500g batches and it has a gas pressure gauge which helps to monitor the power input:

I promise to update after the new longer exhaust pipe will arrive, I am really excited to try it.

Kfir.

EDIT: you should verify with Mr. Lee about these mods before ordering.