Recommended MET with Quest M3 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by FotonDrv »

EricS sells some pretty nice probes for the Amprobe and the Omega meters.

This is the probe layout I use, a bit different because I could not understand the difference for the MET location, left or right of the bean loading chute/air path. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could verify if my use of this position is a mistake.

Cheers!
Stephen
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

Right or left, it doesn't matter. Either location is equal distance from the elements on each side. On mine, I have it on the right side (1 o clock facing the front of the drum), only because I've found it easier to route the probe wires out of the way by draping them behind the top of the chute. It's nicer than dealing with having them in the way when you're pulling samples. Zip ties/electrical tape keeps them tidy and out of the way even more so.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by FotonDrv »

The wire ties and ease of routing was why I put them where I did; good to know that the location on either side only matter for convenience and not for a mechanical temp position.

Thanks for the info Tom!

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

Here is a pic of a MET probe inserted and routed as I would recommend. This is a pic of Arpi's setup (way back when) wherein he chose to simply use a 1/8" thermocouple inserted in place of the M4 screw. The MET probes I offer are 1/16" and slide through a center drilled M4 screw. By routing the thermocouple across the bean chute as shown, a 6" thermocouple is positioned about halfway down the exterior of the drum.

Newer models of the Quest (May 2013 onward) have a higher wattage rating and it has been suggested that one of the elements is a little more powerful than the other. Their MET probe would be placed in the upper left hole vice upper right.

As simply an FYI, I have a nearby (fortunately) friend who roasts on a Quest and he tries to maintain MET at 500F. He is an experienced roaster.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks Eric, apparently the probes read from the tip of the probe? By placing the probe across the chute a longer Tryer handle sure would be a plus :D

A question about the possible increased wattage; did they change anything else except the element to achieve the increased power, like different control board and rheostat?

That 500f as an MET is an interesting target. Is your nearby friend using the higher wattage elements?

Thanks again.

kwantfm

#16: Post by kwantfm »

erics wrote:As simply an FYI, I have a nearby (fortunately) friend who roasts on a Quest and he tries to maintain MET at 500F. He is an experienced roaster.
I tend to reach 500F at about 6 minutes into my roasts and try to keep that as my upper limit for MET. Average 11-12 minutes roasts.
LMWDP #602