Rate My Roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

What is Rate My Roast?
HB members submit their espresso roasts anonymously. Experienced members (see below) rate it. The ratings and details about the roast are posted and discussed. These accumulated RMR (rate my roast) entries become a database for people roasting espresso. The best roasts each year get recognized with a prize.

Where are the Rate my Roasts Threads?
(most recent at the top of the list)
Lucky 13
Nutty Buddy
Starry Night

Who are the Judges?
Abe Carmeli (USBC Qualified)
Dan Kehn (USBC Qualified)
Jim Schulman (USBC Qualified)
... Please PM me if you wish to be a judge.

How does the rating work?
  • Each roast gets 3 grades: espresso flavor, espresso mouthfeel and crema, and cappuccino flavor. If judges give a range, it indicates the spread from average to best shots
  • Scores run from 0 to 6, following the USBC scale. Here it is, with rough 0 to 100 coffee rating equivalents:
    6 = 96+ Exceptional
    5 = 92-93 5.5 = 94-95 Excellent
    4 = 88-89 4.5 = 90-91 Very Good
    3 = 84-85 3.5 = 86-87 Good
    2 = 81-82 2.5 = 82-83 Average
    1 = 75-77 1.5 = 78-80 Acceptable
    0 = below 75 Unacceptable
  • The roaster will submit the full details of the coffees used, the blend recipe, the roast profiles, and the desired flavor profile of the roast. This can be submitted at the same time as the roasts, or immediately after the reviews are posted (see below). They must be submitted at some point, otherwise the post will be deleted.
  • Judges and others can offer diagnostic suggestions if their appreciation of the roast and the roaster's intention don't jibe.
How do I Submit a Roast?
Pick at least two judges and send me a PM. I'll give you the judge's addresses. If you wish to remain completely anonymous send the roasts to ... (sorry, I'm moving, so this option is suspended until September). You will need to submit at least 6 ounces per judge. Give your roasts a name and, optionally, tell the judges how to best pull it. Even if you know where to send the roasts, you must give us notice when sending a new one. The judges are quite busy, and frequently away from home. Roasts sent without notice will probably be ignored.

How can Roasters and Others Comment on the Roasts?
Roasters can comment anonymously using the handle RMR, for which they will get the password when they send the coffees. Others can comment too. Until everyone is comfortable with this setup, we ask that roasters do not identify themselves, regardless of the rating they get.
Jim Schulman

RE*AC*TOR

#2: Post by RE*AC*TOR »

This is a great idea, though I hope you don't get too swamped with bags of beans.

:)

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

Unfortunately, there haven't been any new roasts recently. I enjoyed reading the reviews. I think I need to get going with my roasting.
Scott
LMWDP #248

IMAWriter

#4: Post by IMAWriter replying to sweaner »

Scott, these guys SCARE ME!
I'm trying to gather the nerve to send my present iteration of my "Twangtown" espresso.
If Jim is still doing this come June, I may give it a shot, as my Brazilian selections will be better, though my other green elements will be getting a tad long of tooth.
A hard decision to participate, as my chosen vocation (songwriter) often includes generous portions of rejection. :lol:

Edited for typos

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Robert, maybe you should try American Idol!

I say go for the Rate My Roast.
Scott
LMWDP #248

IMAWriter

#6: Post by IMAWriter replying to sweaner »

Once they get done with mine, they would change the name of the thread to "Trash My Roast." :lol:
Maybe when/if my next song ship comes in, I'll be able to handle the spank on the fanny from Jim, Dan, Abe and whomever.

cafeIKE

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

One reason I declined to participate in Rate My Roast is the utter subjectivity. Marshall loves Intelligentsia. I've tried it many times over the years and I don't get it. :? We both like Supreme Bean Ring of Fire 8)

When I got the DB, I markedly changed my 'house blend'. What I loved on the HX was less than stellar on the DB. I now have a blend that works on both.

As Jim Schulman said elsewhere "If I don't like it, I dump it "

As long as you enjoy your roasts, who gives a rat's ass what anyone else thinks?

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:As long as you enjoy your roasts, who gives a rat's ass what anyone else thinks?
That's true, but intersubjective experience is more enjoyable and edifying than the merely subjective; so it pays to drink coffee in company or to compare notes.
Jim Schulman