Quest M3 cheat sheet

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
UltramaticOrange

#1: Post by UltramaticOrange »

I clean out my inbox and all my file backups are in post-move storage. Anyone have a copy of My Quest M3 cheat sheet handy for fellow HBer's?
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

Zanderfy

#2: Post by Zanderfy »

Following this thread with great interest! I have an unmodified 2014 Quest M3 (newer, thinner drum, among other changes) and would love to know appropriate settings/time markers for different charge temps and grams of beans.

Advertisement
redpig

#3: Post by redpig »

Does this work? (Happy to re-host it elsewhere -- with permission of course!)
LMWDP #411

happycat

#4: Post by happycat »

I forwarded your original email and cheat sheet attachment back to you.

FYI My recipe these days is light and Rao inspired using Quest with black painted drum and Artisan on Mac using EricS thermocouple kit and Phidget

POWER 10
Fan 3
At 410f BT charge 250gm USING aero press funnel
After 1c nudge power down to maintain steady declining ROR
At 422-425 based on sounds of 1c calming, drop
Fan 9
Open all doors
Move beans to cooler compartment and stir a bit
Cool until finger warm
Dump into aluminum bowl and put by window
Sweep and empty chaff
Close doors
Warm again for second batch

Roast 9-1030 mins with 1c starting around 75-80% of the total

I started using higher temp and fan due to wanting to get 1c finished quickly so I can drop lighter roasts without having 1c dribble on. Also getting chillier up here. Roast near open patio door.
LMWDP #603

Zanderfy

#5: Post by Zanderfy »

Does anyone have any tried-and-true recipes for a stock Quest M3 given the colder weather/cold garage I'll be roasting in?

Also, I'm a bit confused after perusing the threads regarding ET, BT, MET, etc. I've attached a picture of my stock Quest. What exactly am I measuring with this thermometer? Where do other probes go? Thanks so much in advance.

Beanz

#6: Post by Beanz »

The analogue probe mounted in your current position measures ET.
The stud / bolt just above the door but below the trier can be removed and used for used for BT. Some users insert a probe through the screw hole that holds the glass in the door but I feel it limits use of the door
If you intend to measure MET you can remove either one of the top screws that sit above above the thermometer /trier that hold the chute for loading the beans, insert a thin probe in that position
You can see images and discussion on the following link
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=29311

I roast in cool conditions in winter ie approx 5C and typically run 900W, (using a 240V version so currents not relevant for US) for a 200g load and get great results, if you wanted to roast say 225g you will need to run higher power or have longer roast times

happycat

#7: Post by happycat »

Zanderfy wrote:Does anyone have any tried-and-true recipes for a stock Quest M3 given the colder weather/cold garage I'll be roasting in?

Also, I'm a bit confused after perusing the threads regarding ET, BT, MET, etc. I've attached a picture of my stock Quest. What exactly am I measuring with this thermometer? Where do other probes go? Thanks so much in advance.

<image>
I think you might want to organize your thoughts a bit.

- roasting is empirical... You can rely on colour of beans changing looking in the window and using the trier, smell of beans coming out exhaust, sound of beans popping at first crack, crackling at second crack. Harder data like bean temp (measuring temp of rolling bean mass and not just air temp inside drum) helps a lot more. Tracking temp over to see a curve makes a big difference in appreciating what is happening with your beans during a roast. Just by glancing at the curve you will know what the roast will be like

- roasting is subjective too... What level of roast do you like? Since I got the Quest and the control it offers and read Rao's roasting book, I now roast much lighter to preserve sweetness, acidity, and get hints of all kinds of amazing flavours that get obliterated with longer roasts OR with roasts of same length but different profile, meaning different levels of heat or fan. I now set it and forget it much more, maybe with a nudge down on the power after 1c and just watch the temp and rate of rise curves on my Mac. Also how much coffee do you go through affects batch size. Also what brew methods you prefer affects preferred roast levels.... Milky drinks with darker beans? Pour overs with delicate roasts to get florals?

- roasting is contextual... Someone describing Seattle as "cold" in winter makes me giggle. The temp of your garage, the quality and freshness of your beans , whether the beans are wet or dry processed, what flavours are available in the beans to be brought out with different roast levels... Sweet Maria's makes suggestions on each bean of what you can get and what roast levels to use. You may even have power issues depending on your electrical service

so my suggestion is address those data needs and engage in an interactive experience with your roaster. I don't think you will find a Quest cookbook with all the possible variations. Using data and monitoring will get you much further ahead based on your subjective needs and context. I already provided my "recipe" but that's for my set of needs.
LMWDP #603

Advertisement
UltramaticOrange (original poster)

#8: Post by UltramaticOrange (original poster) »

Zanderfy wrote:Does anyone have any tried-and-true recipes for a stock Quest M3 given the colder weather/cold garage I'll be roasting in?
I have experience doing this. Just don't even bother trying. Even in the milder winter weather of WA, you wouldn't be terribly happy with the results. Instead, I recommend setting up some ad-hoc ventilation by a window like the below. Just a simple 12v computer fan, an old 12v power adapter, some ridgid duct work, and an oxford comma.

Just held in place by shutting the window, and then I would pull it out of the window when I was done roasting.

If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

Roasty
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Roasty »

I almost always do 115g-117g batches depending on weight loss . . . but I aim for 100g finished weight, which gives me the perfect amount for four 12oz cups of coffee.

I charge at about 300F and hit 300F again at about 5 min and drop the roast around 9-9:30. I find that my turnaround temperature is almost exactly 100F Lower than my charge temperature when I use this batch size.

Still trying to get the right charge/ramp for 212F at 25% of roast . . . not sure yet, but apparently it tastes like liquid gold if you do this. :wink:

Roasty
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Roasty »

Also, I just straight up roast indoors with nothing but a cracked window and air purifier . . .