Quest M3 agitation

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Carneiro

#1: Post by Carneiro »

Hello!

Fist of all, I believe the Quest M3 is a very good package for the money, and I know the 150g batch size is a sweet spot. But...

I'm having some trouble with 150-200g batches, as I only roast Brazilian beans. If I want to reach a spot with sweetness but very little roast flavors (trying to avoid some smoked/tobaco tastes) I have a deal break. Even keeping the BT temp at maximum 207-208°C (end of roast), I get this tastes. The MET doesn't go over 260°C. If I try lower temperature I can't avoid some of the "raw" tastes.

My question is... Does anybody think the agitation could be improved? I don't know if more air flow would help, as it would require more heat too. There are this new version of Quest with drum speed control, I wonder how faster it can be compared to the original (our is 50 RPM?)... Another approach would be trying to improve the drum fins. Hard one... :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot,

Márcio.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

First off, you might be pushing against the impossible. Have you ever had the coffees you roast done in a roast that has no dry distillate tastes, and also no green flavors?

I doubt increasing drum rotation can help much; but increasing airflow might. Another alternative is to stretch out or even stall the roast in the early first crack. This will remove the green flavors at lower temperatures and allow lower finishing temperatures. The price will be reduced acidity.
Jim Schulman

Carneiro (original poster)

#3: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Yes, I was wondering about this exactly 'cause I've tried some great roast of a wonderful coffee and the roasts I've done have this little problem. But, of course, I have to make more experiments to see if I find a solution.

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I think I have room to stretch the first crack a little bit with the maximum air flow too.

afan

#4: Post by afan »

Another source of burnt smell is the residual chaff fall to the bottom of the outer shell and burnt by the heater indirectly and directly. So vacuum the unit after roast may reduce the burnt taste.

Alex
LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader