Propane roaster in winter

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
iginfect

#1: Post by iginfect »

I'm considering the Santoker 500 and would either have to build a shed or use the garage. With my HT or older Gene, using the unheated and not insulationable garage in the winter with temps to below zero, below freezing temps wouldn't allow proper heating of the roaster. Anyone in the northeast "outdoor" temp roast in winter with a gas roaster? An insulated shed would work but then the electric connections etc would really drive up the cost of doing this.

Marvin

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Don't forget that the roaster is not the only thing which must function in the environment. So too must the roastmaster. Build the shed.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

germantown rob

#3: Post by germantown rob »

My 1kg roaster is in my garage in PA and I agree with rich about roast master temps have to be comfortable enough to spend 2+ hrs roasting in. My garage does not get below 38f, I usually choose warmer winter days to schedule roasts on but will also run a propane shop heater if I can't avoid near freezing conditions.

Once my 135lb roaster has been preheated at 415f for 1/2 hr it does not seem to mind surrounding temps of 40f (but I do) except for watching airflow a little more closely. Summer is really the time of year I find that has the most effect on my roasting, hot humid days can really throw off my roasting times far more then cold winter days. For the summer and winter I have a radon fan pumping air from my basement to the garage to help with extreme temps.