Probat L12 Restoration & Modification

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
VeniaCoffee

#1: Post by VeniaCoffee »

We have just purchased a used Probat L12 and will be going through an extensive rebuild over the next few months. We thought it would be fun to share this process with the community here on HB. We have more posted on our blog: http://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/blog/20 ... ification/

sweetmarias

#2: Post by sweetmarias »

Looks good - it had some chaff fires based on the paint, but that isn't necessarily a big deal. -T

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

This will be fun to watch, thanks for sharing!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

VeniaCoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by VeniaCoffee (original poster) »

Looks good - it had some chaff fires based on the paint, but that isn't necessarily a big deal. -T
Yes it did, and looking at the caked up chaff and residue it is no doubt why. Inside the drum looks so built up with gunk, almost like it had a spray on liner like a pickup truck might have.

You have a L12 in your shop correct? What do you love and what would you change?

sversimo

#5: Post by sversimo »

Awesome project! Keep posting!

L12 = 12 pounds?

chris_n

#6: Post by chris_n »

since it's a probat i assume, 12Kilo?

UseIt4Toddy

#7: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

What's the year of manufacture? Looks a lot like an old L12 from the 70s that I used to roast on, I believe. Is the gas pressure controlled by one of those marvelously over-sized levers on the left-hand side?

#8: Post by VeniaCoffee (original poster) »

Short post is up on delivery of the Roaster to us this morning: http://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/blog/20 ... ct-part-2/

#9: Post by VeniaCoffee (original poster) »

sversimo wrote:Awesome project! Keep posting! L12 = 12 pounds?
chris_n wrote:since it's a probat i assume, 12Kilo?
Correct it is a 12 Kilo roaster.
UseIt4Toddy wrote:What's the year of manufacture? Looks a lot like an old L12 from the 70s that I used to roast on, I believe. Is the gas pressure controlled by one of those marvelously over-sized levers on the left-hand side?
It was built in 1994 and saw continuous service until about a year ago. Basic design has remained the same for some time as far as I can tell. Haven't decided entirely, but the gas valve as it exists will likely be replaced.

#10: Post by VeniaCoffee (original poster) »

Had a few hours this week to devote to disassembly of the the L12 (still need a name for her, taking ideas). Most of the time was spent documenting and learning how all the current electrical system works before I start pulling old wires and such. Spent two hours with the actual breakdown.

The back seems to be the only place the previous owner actually greased now and then.

Pilot light hole.

Oddly enough, the allen headed screws holding the tryer in place were the most difficult and time consuming part of the removal so far, requiring a stripped screw removal tap to get them out.

The cooling tray actuator hasn't seen lubrication in some time and is practically seized in place.

Broken sight glass.

Cooling tray has a crack that will either need repair or replacement as it flexes badly whenever the trap door is opened.

Burners.

Ah, a face only a mother could love.

Done for the day.