Popcorn popper for pumpkin seeds?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Maxwell Mooney

#1: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

So, I know this technically isn't home roasting in the coffee sense, but I'm curious if anyone has roasted pumpkin seeds in a popcorn popper? I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

If you've done it, any recommendations?
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

mhborstad

#2: Post by mhborstad »

I do almonds quite often - you'd think pumpkin seeds would work even better. Nice control over small batches. Part of the trick (as usual) seems to be being able to cool them / stop the roast quickly.

farmroast

#3: Post by farmroast »

Haven't, should work if it's not too hot. Keep a long handle wooden spoon handy if you need to give them some extra stirring. May need a tallish chimney. They may try to fly away.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I tried pumpkin seeds in the Behmor once but I don't remember how it turned out. I think I had a lot of pumpkin seeds left over that year. It seemed that one of the issues was making sure that the seeds didn't stick together.

I semi-regularly roast almonds in the Behmor 1600, works great. I do a 1/4 # P1 B profile for about 12 oz of almonds, they get to first crack pretty quickly but take a lot longer to cool down.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Maxwell Mooney (original poster)

#5: Post by Maxwell Mooney (original poster) »

Cool. Will probably try to get them roasted on Monday. Having a pumpkin carving party tonight, then moving over the weekend, and will break out the roasters on Monday.

Will post my results.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406