Plans and suggestions for the next HB roasting contest - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Bodka Coffee wrote:When are you thinking of holding the contest?
At this point, we might as well wait and see what great fresh crop Ethiopian's and Central's are popping up. But I imagine before the end of May now.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bodka Coffee

#22: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Good idea.

Advertisement
rama

#23: Post by rama »

TomC wrote:At this point, we might as well wait and see what great fresh crop Ethiopian's and Central's are popping up. But I imagine before the end of May now.
I like that idea. If I'm to pick one of the beans, it'd have to be something I'm excited about.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#24: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to rama »

I think what would be cool is to take a poll on bean choices, then maybe nominate the most popular? I agree with you and it's not fun if you're not excited about the chosen coffee. If folks start making recommendations over the next few weeks, we can start moving forward. A lot of people tend to participate in these "behind the scenes". So far, this thread has as much interest from professional roasters as it does hobbyists. Being that we are fundamentally a home/hobbyist site, the preferences of the hobbyists will be considered above pros.

endlesscycles

#25: Post by endlesscycles »

Desptie being one of the said pro's, I'm still going to step up and suggest we pick a kick butt Colombian offering from Shrub once they arrive. Everything I've had from this crop is off the chain and totally mistakable for super sweet Kenyan coffee. The range of tasty options is mighty wide with a good Caturra... assuming a wide solution space is most interesting.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

bmock

#26: Post by bmock replying to endlesscycles »

I like this idea, as a novice roaster I'm looking forward to someone other than my wife tasting my coffee!!! I'd be stoked to roast up a nice colombian. It seems like Ethiopians have been the only thing in my roaster and cup for a long time...

So my vote is for a kick butt Colombian!!

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#27: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'm going to put this contest on hold till after Mill City's contest is over. There's no sense stretching attention and time amongst participants across two events. When some interesting Centrals or other fresh crop coffee pops up in the next few months, we can take another look at it and aim for a early summer date to turn in submissions.

Now with SCAA being over, I can work with some interesting potential judges to be announced.

Folks interested in Mill City's competition will need to carry any discussion about profiles etc, at their forum.