OT Huky IR stove for chiles

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GregR

#1: Post by GregR »

Just wanted to pass on another use for the stock Huky IR stove. It roasts chiles beautifully and very quickly. Did up a batch yesterday and it was a million times easier than using the broiler- I have no bbq so that was how I used to do it.

cygnusx1

#2: Post by cygnusx1 »

Being in the midst of peanut land here in Florida, I often thought about roasting some raw peanuts in the Huky but was too chicken. :roll:

SAS
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by SAS »

Funny you should mention peanuts. I just finished roasting a batch of Honduran for a friend who came over to watch. He asked if I had ever tried roasting peanuts in my roaster.

Chilies, peanuts, what else? Cacao?

Who has roasted other produce in their coffee roasters?
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

GregR (original poster)

#4: Post by GregR (original poster) »

I roasted some tomatillos and onion too. No problems there either.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I've roasted shelled almonds in my Behmor and once tried popcorn. The popcorn popped so much it became a tight fit in the drum, but the almonds came out great, mostly because they were freshly roasted. They took longer to cool and always tasted better on the second day than the first. Oh, and with popcorn and almonds, their's only one crack.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

frank828

#6: Post by frank828 »

the behmor is a great chestnut roaster

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I tried chestnuts but they didn't turn out like I expected. Not ever having "good" chestnuts, I'm not sure what to expect. Any tips on roasting chestnuts in case I try it again over the holidays?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

frank828

#8: Post by frank828 »

i think i remember it needing extra time than what the behmor was set to. also i think the best time to stop was when some of the chestnuts were bursting open.

been a while since i did a batch, though. i'll report back when i try again.

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

In the Mission District here in San Francisco, a few tech millionaires who cashed in on some kind of an app, followed their dreams of opening up their own artisinal chocolate shop. They spared absolutely no expense on the fancy build out or the insanely expensive conching and confectionery gear, but when the want to sample roast a small batch of cacao, they turn to their Behmor roaster.

I used to do roasted nuts, especially around the holidays.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

rgrosz

#10: Post by rgrosz »

SAS wrote:Chilies, peanuts, what else? Cacao?

Who has roasted other produce in their coffee roasters?
The first review I read of the Behmor (in 2009) was from a chocolatier:
http://chocolatealchemy.com/behmor-1600 ... a-roaster/

And everyone said to not even think about roasting your own cocoa beans. The results taste so good that you'll gain 10+ pounds in no time!
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee