One probe to send data to a PID and data logger?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
boublanc

#1: Post by boublanc »

Hello
Anyone know if it is possible to use 1 probe connected to a PID and hook it in parallel to a data collector for ET? I would like to limit the amount of probes connected to the roaster.
I am using an Auber PID SYL-2352 and a Phidgets to collect data.
Thank you

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Yes it's "possible." Which is to say that "possible" is not the same thing as "guaranteed." It usually works, but not always because sometimes the signal gets too attenuated for controller, datalogger or both. The controller's terminals are a good place to tie in because you don't need to bother splicing. But of course, you can pigtail a splice in anywhere you like.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

ds

#3: Post by ds »

Omega sells dual sensing thermocouples (example) so you can connect two devices.

boublanc (original poster)

#4: Post by boublanc (original poster) »

Thank you that is good to know.
I was concern about damaging sensitive equipment, I will give it a try.
Marce

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

A dual sensing thermocouple sounds like a good idea. I know that they make thermocouple splitters where you can send the signal from one thermocouple to multiple sensors and have isolation, but the examples that I saw were pretty expensive.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

boar_d_laze

#6: Post by boar_d_laze replying to yakster »

Probably the "right" way to go, but plain ol' fashioned piggy-backing usually works OK.

Power! Power to the Kludge! Power to the Kludge, right on!

Can I get an "Amen?"

People who sell stuff and know what they're doing; people who don't want you and/or me to blow out stuff they've got under warranty, and also know what they're doing; and people who are worried about you and/or me arc-welding ourselves to the nearest piece of metal, and know what they're doing probably recommend against it. But I'm humming "Java Jive," got my fingers in my ears, and can't hear them.

I like coffee, I like tea, I like the Java Jive and it likes me,
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

This question and an answer appeared on Neil Wilson's blog here.

Short answer, it should work.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272