Next Coffee Roasting Competition-Springtime

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.

Coffee Roasting Competition-Springtime Poll

Yes- Mid March, drip coffee only- bean type TBD
52%
No- Mid March, drip coffee only- bean type TBD
9%
Yes-Mid March, drip and espresso-bean types TBD
30%
No- Mid March, drip and espresso- bean types TBD
9%

Total votes: 23

TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I want to get an interest check for another home roasting competition, no sooner than mid March. Bean choices to be determined. I have a standing offer now for Highwire Coffee to host the judging portion of any drip entries. Completely open to any suggestions as far as greens. Sweet Maria's, Klatch, maybe even something from GCBC.

A simple drip competition can be up and running a bit easier. If folks want to do an espresso competition, we need to arrange for judging for that.

Vote accordingly and then post interest or comments as to whether you'd like to see drip only, drip and espresso, multiple bean choices, one bean choice, etc. The poll is mainly to establish if mid March works and if so, for how many entrants.

Is there a cultivar that interests a large enough section of the group that we should target? It's been an incredible year for Colombian coffees. etc. etc. How about we buck the trend and see if we can take one coffee, and optimize the different profiles so that it shines both as a drip and an espresso?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC (original poster) »

And yes, to answer a few questions, it's open to anyone, not just home roasters. Marshall Hance has been elevating the game, so I see no reason why Bodka Coffee can't jump in as well. I think it adds to the experience not detract. Especially when it comes to post competition analysis, we appreciate it when the pro's are willing to share what they thought of their particular profile and how it went. That way, everyone learns and improves. I just expect that it is disclosed that a particular entrant is a professional roaster, but all are welcome.

Bodka Coffee

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Thanks! I pm'ed Tom to ask him about this. Looking forward to it!

endlesscycles

#4: Post by endlesscycles »

My opinion below.

I would like to see one coffee, one roast, judged as both espresso and drip by folks who can dial in to 20% AND taste with trained palates. I think a cupping should be used to rough in the results, but an actual Fetco brew would be judged for the top 5. Perhaps the same protocol for espresso since bakey and ashy coffees could be eliminated from further efforts behind the machine. 68g/Kg cupping, 60g/Kg Fetco, 18g/36g espresso, all 20%.

That's simply what I would like. If folks agree with this perspective, great. If not, okay.

Oh, and coffee that is available from sweet marias + coffee shrub!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Bodka Coffee

#5: Post by Bodka Coffee »

That sounds good. I voted drip only but if just one coffee is to be used for both my vote can be changed.

chang00

#6: Post by chang00 »

I think we had mostly washed coffee previously; I would like some dry processed coffee this time. The judging should be blind and with several judges.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC (original poster) »

endlesscycles wrote: I would like to see one coffee, one roast, judged as both espresso and drip by folks who can dial in to 20% AND taste with trained palates. I think a cupping should be used to rough in the results, but an actual Fetco brew would be judged for the top 5. Perhaps the same protocol for espresso since bakey and ashy coffees could be eliminated from further efforts behind the machine. 68g/Kg cupping, 60g/Kg Fetco, 18g/36g espresso, all 20%.

I like the idea of elevating it to something more thorough, but realistically, that might be close to impossible to execute. If it can be setup, I'm all for it, but finding impartial, expert palates with the gear list you describe, who are also willing to donate of their time freely is a stretch to say the least.
chang00 wrote:I think we had mostly washed coffee previously; I would like some dry processed coffee this time. The judging should be blind and with several judges.
Completely agree as far as the judging. And I don't have a strong desire to pick the green, so I leave it to democracy to figure that out. If folks want to compete via dialing in a natural coffee, so be it. And for the judging, I know I've said it somewhere here before, but the three main owner/roasters of Highwire have close to 70 years of combined experience in the cupping lab. And they're offering, but that doesn't mean it has to be them. Frankly, as long as it is a critical palate and someone willing to share their thoughts on the roasts, I don't care who does the judging either. But I think it's cool that they're willing to accommodate us.

victoriacoffees

#8: Post by victoriacoffees »

This sound like it will be a lot of fun. I voted "no" for mid March due to some local events and kid's Spring Break. But if we only need provide the coffee, then anytime is good.
John V.

MSH

#9: Post by MSH »

For me personally I would prefer the espresso and brew/drip categories be kept separate. I've been 100% brewed coffee for going on two years and it's all I ever roast for. My Rancilio Silvia just sits in a box and I just sold my Rocky (which had also been sitting boxed ever since I picked up my Lido) to make way for a Vario with the Ditting Burrs. My only grinder capable of quality grinding for espresso is still a disassembled mess of a project (Major). I would be at a serious disadvantage if the comp is narrowed to developing a single profile for espresso & drip, so I don't think I would submit an entry if this is the route the group elects to go.

I'm a wet processed only kind of guy, but I'd be up for the challenge if a DP is chosen. My only ask is that if it is a DP that it is as clean a DP as possible.

Vote = Yes-Mid March, drip and espresso-bean types TBD

Andy

#10: Post by Andy »

I voted yes, mid march drip & espresso; but I hope to participate in any case.

Andy