NEW larger Hottop coming! - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by JohnB. »

Guess we'll have to wait & see how the final version works. Not too many other options out there right now under $2K so if I have to modify a few things to make the 1lb'r work the way I want it to I'm ok with that. The Quest is far from ideal for larger batches, but you've made it work for you. I'm roasting 300-350g batches with my modded half lb HT & getting very nice results. With the improvements in airflow in the big Hottop & dual elements I think it has the potential to work quite well.
LMWDP 267

charlesaf3

#32: Post by charlesaf3 »

This is very apropos, I've need for a larger roaster than my current hottop, and have space for it now.

I've enjoyed the hottop, my primary issue is roast size, but I do have some critiques of it - all around I'd rate it a B+ now, after 5 or so years of ownership.

Why? Positive - great cups of coffee. Subject to standard variables. Great customer service. Negative - build quality - I've had a couple of occasions to use customer service. My control panel is literally bubbling in places, and is no longer functioning reliably. Clearly it is not sufficiently insulated from the heat. And finally, while I don't mind that I have to completely disassemble the hottop to clean it, it could be easier - reassembly in particular requires 4 hands. This would be very easy to fix by adding around 5 dollars worth of metal. Value engineering only belongs on disposable products, I'd rather see excess screws and bolts and separate assemblies.

I say this as someone who is semi-professional in the assembly/disassembly realm, and therefore has strong ideas on what works and does not. I'd like to see more 1950s type assemblys, which were actually made to be worked on...

Advertisement
iginfect

#33: Post by iginfect »

As a klutz with 4 left feet and all digits big toes, I don't find the ht hard to reassemble. The control panel is a problem, I'm up to 194 roasts with one replacement and the start of new problems with the new one. At least it was replaced free w/o any hassle. HT stands by its product and I would consider the bigger after its been out for awhile with the kinks exposed and worked out.

Marvin

another_jim
Team HB

#34: Post by another_jim »

Arpi wrote: For example, on the initial picture of this thread, in my opinion the heater element is way too hot (bright orange color). Controlling the profile with a supplemental hot air heater is very responsive and more powerful.
Interesting. The usual building technique for all drum roasters is to imitate the Probat design of using the same heat source for the drum and the air. Dampers and motor controls then determine how that heat is distributed. You seem to be edging closer to the HG/BM or modern fixed drum designs, where the drum is kept warm with mild heat and insulation, and most of the heat delivery is done via air. This is a design where the drum agitates, but does not heat; and the air heats, but does not agitate.

From an engineering point of view, this is the most elegant way to go. Also in the home roasting competitions, the HG/BM entries are always technically excellent roasts, well developed and clean. Drum supporters claim one loses complexity in the roast flavors with pure convection roasts; I think there might be something to that, but it's a really hard hypothesis to taste test.
Jim Schulman

farmroast

#35: Post by farmroast »

another_jim wrote:.. Drum supporters claim one loses complexity in the roast flavors with pure convection roasts; I think there might be something to that, but it's a really hard hypothesis to taste test.
But I think they are just that, drum produced bean surface roast flavors added to a lighter unroasty roast. This adds complexity but does it really better the cup is the question.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Couloirman

#36: Post by Couloirman »

Wow, was just about to pull the trigger on one of the current hottops but will have to hold off a few months to see if this actually gets going in 2012. Fingers crossed......

cannonfodder
Team HB

#37: Post by cannonfodder »

From the discussion on the thread, I would be surprised if it made the light of day in 2013. It has been 'in the works' for several years now. Nice thing about a good roaster, they hold their resale value. Get the current version and enjoy the coffee, worry about an upgrade in another couple years IMHO.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
allon

#38: Post by allon »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

(note: my family actually HAD an Osborne Executive...in fact, I think it's still in my parents' basement)
LMWDP #331

rama

#39: Post by rama »

farmroast wrote:But I think they are just that, drum produced bean surface roast flavors added to a lighter unroasty roast. This adds complexity but does it really better the cup is the question.
Not unlike 'tipping' I imagine.

charlesaf3

#40: Post by charlesaf3 »

iginfect wrote:As a klutz with 4 left feet and all digits big toes, I don't find the ht hard to reassemble. The control panel is a problem, I'm up to 194 roasts with one replacement and the start of new problems with the new one. At least it was replaced free w/o any hassle. HT stands by its product and I would consider the bigger after its been out for awhile with the kinks exposed and worked out.

Marvin
This might be my general design prejudices spilling over. But I have 2 complaints about hot top assembly, from someone who has literally dissasembled the entire thing on occasion.

First, it's too interconnected. Rather than have easily removable sub-assemblies, any dissasembly seems to require taking the whole thing apart. Reminds me of my old Montero, where to put a trailer control in line with the rear brake lights, I had to take out plastic all the way to the front seat.

Second, it has loose panels that have to be "squeezed" in order to line up the screw holes. Perhaps not originally from the factory, but its not a huge surprise considering the heating/cooling cycles. So you need one hand for the screw, one hand for the screwdriver, and 2 hands to squeeze the shell into place. Annoying, even if one has magnetic screwdrivers and clamps.

Minor points - the machine screws are too short, and should have pointed tips. Granted I could fix this pretty easily if I ever remembered... Secondly, I don't believe phillips heads or flat heads belong in an assembly. Or anywhere. Old technology, dead technology, I don't want my drivers camming out, put them in the grave already! Hex heads or square head recess is the only way to go.

I will say, my chief complaint remains that its too small... I'm actually wondering about the little diedrich, and wondering if that proves that I'm insane. At a pound and a half a week, have to calculate the break-even... Probably requires significant advances in medical science to get me to live long enough..