NEW larger Hottop coming! - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

Is a 1lb electric drum roaster with 10 to 15 minute roast times and acceptable environmental temperatures even possible in 110 volt land? A highly efficient and insulated convection roaster, like an HG/BM, may be able to manage it; but it's hard to see anything else making that cut. Hats off to Hot Top if they manage it.
Jim Schulman

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

With two heating elements I don't think they will have any problem at all. After my recent upgrade to the one & only 900w heating element left at the factory my HT-B is able to roast 350g batches in the same time frame as I was hitting with a 227g load reaching 1C in under 9 minutes without a problem. I'm going to try a 400g batch next but that may be pushing it for the stock motor/gearbox.
LMWDP 267

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

I was wondering about wattage and MET constraints. The wattage should be below 1700 for 15 amp service, and the MET below 525F for ash free roasts. I'm no expert on the Hottop, but my memory of the early models is that they didn't have enough airflow to pull this off.
Jim Schulman

farmroast

#14: Post by farmroast »

As long as there's no afterburner I think it's very doable for a finished lb with an acceptable profile. Preferably a 20amp. line with the 1700w limit. Fan and drum motors take very little juice.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

The airflow has been completely redesigned in the 1lb'r. There will be dedicated duct work feeding the smoke out the rear with a takeoff flange so you can attach high temp flex pipe to vent the smoke outside. Forget the current HT-P/B as this is a new design internally incorporating improvements just about everywhere.

Wattage shouldn't be an issue as the P/B models are rated at 740w & I believe that Michael said the 2 elements in the 1lb'r will each be smaller then the 720w element currently used in the P/B models. Personally I wouldn't mind having to run the 1 lb'r on a 20A circuit but I'm sure they are shooting for 15A or less.
LMWDP 267

farmroast

#16: Post by farmroast »

It will be the same issue as the behmor has when pushing batch size, with voltage loss during high demand times and less than great lines. May need a variac for some situations to keep it humming.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

rama

#17: Post by rama »

My current Hottop struggles with minor dips in voltage. That may be acceptable for an amateur device, but anything targeting the "prosumer" level that expects me to run it with a Variac on anything less than perfect power is setting themselves up for failure. I hope that's not the case here.

blueface

#18: Post by blueface »

That's another good option for those home roasters looking for between 500g-1kg. Hopefully, the price is competitive :wink:

PavoniMaster

#19: Post by PavoniMaster »

Very Cool Look, I've been waiting for this.
Lever User Since 1985

Nik

#20: Post by Nik »

Hottop is one of the top companies I have done business with. I am confident if anyone can make the new roaster work well it is Michael. He always responds to emails and he immediately services if needed. I am sure when it is released it will work..can't wait.

Bob